Recoil-serie: 17 external monitors issue

jonnyka

hey! I bought a Recoil-serie: 17 laptop - everything's pretty much perfect with it, but one thing:
my setup is: I have the laptop, I'm connecting an external monitor to its hdmi slot, and I'm connecting an usb-c hub to the usb-c port, and in that hub I have a second monitor with hdmi
if I pull out the external hub, boot into windows, and plug it in after, everything's perfect. If it's plugged in before windows boots, the monitors won't get an image, and the screen on the laptop will turn and off constantly, while the windows is pretty much frozen.
I've tried various boot options like fastboot, changing the boot order of devices, etc, my drivers are up-to-date, I tried everything I could think of
any ideas?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
hey! I bought a Recoil-serie: 17 laptop - everything's pretty much perfect with it, but one thing:
my setup is: I have the laptop, I'm connecting an external monitor to its hdmi slot, and I'm connecting an usb-c hub to the usb-c port, and in that hub I have a second monitor with hdmi
if I pull out the external hub, boot into windows, and plug it in after, everything's perfect. If it's plugged in before windows boots, the monitors won't get an image, and the screen on the laptop will turn and off constantly, while the windows is pretty much frozen.
I've tried various boot options like fastboot, changing the boot order of devices, etc, my drivers are up-to-date, I tried everything I could think of
any ideas?
Hiya, can you post your full specs from the order page?

jonnyka

Chassis & Display
Recoil Series: 17" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1600)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 24 Core Processor 13900HX (5.4GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4090 - 16.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
Liquid Series® Laptop Cooling
PCS Liquid Series® Laptop Cooler
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
2 x 330W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
2 x 1.5 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Recoil Series Integrated 99WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
LIQUID METAL PERFORMANCE COOLING
Sound Card
Nahimic by SteelSeries 2 Channel HD Audio
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.3
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
RECOIL 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT US INTERNATIONAL KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
US International/USA - US English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Chassis & Display
Recoil Series: 17" Matte QHD 240Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1600)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 24 Core Processor 13900HX (5.4GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair 4800MHz SODIMM DDR5 (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4090 - 16.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
Liquid Series® Laptop Cooling
PCS Liquid Series® Laptop Cooler
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor
2 x 330W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
2 x 1.5 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Recoil Series Integrated 99WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
LIQUID METAL PERFORMANCE COOLING
Sound Card
Nahimic by SteelSeries 2 Channel HD Audio
Wireless Network Card
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.3
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 4 PORT + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard Language
RECOIL 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT US INTERNATIONAL KEYBOARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
US International/USA - US English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
What process did you take to install and configure windows?

jonnyka

What process did you take to install and configure windows?
put windows 11 installer usb in -> full format of the disk -> partition -> install windows -> install drivers downloaded from the support page -> install nvidia driver from nvidia's website

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
put windows 11 installer usb in -> full format of the disk -> partition -> install windows -> install drivers downloaded from the support page -> install nvidia driver from nvidia's website
Yeah, that's spot on.

Can you just upload a screenshot of your optional updates page?

jonnyka

Yeah, that's spot on.

Can you just upload a screenshot of your optional updates page?
2023-06-12 16_20_08-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.jpg

I'm gonna go ahead and install those now, I feel like it won't make a difference tho

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm gonna go ahead and install those now, I feel like it won't make a difference tho
Yeah, worth installing but I agree I don't think any of those are related to this issue.

I'm not certain to be honest, may be something worth raising with PCS if no one else has an idea.

jonnyka

yeah thanks, I've actually contacted them first, and they have some ideas that I'm tackling, but none helped so far

davhun

Gold Level Poster
Looking at your Recoil configuration it does not show any docking hub chosen.
However, looking at the configurator, only one choice is available (basic with no incorporated data drive).
I am confused by what these docking hubs can actually do. With one small plug (what is it) it appears to replicate the sockets on the laptop but without the option of alternative ports that might be required. For instance, my Vortex III has a firewire port but it is the last time I have seen one on a laptop.
This also makes me wonder whether a docking hub can actually duplicate the laptop ports in the sense that twice as many connections are available or whether it is just an alternative means of connection using the hub instead of the laptop.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Looking at your Recoil configuration it does not show any docking hub chosen.
However, looking at the configurator, only one choice is available (basic with no incorporated data drive).
I am confused by what these docking hubs can actually do. With one small plug (what is it) it appears to replicate the sockets on the laptop but without the option of alternative ports that might be required. For instance, my Vortex III has a firewire port but it is the last time I have seen one on a laptop.
This also makes me wonder whether a docking hub can actually duplicate the laptop ports in the sense that twice as many connections are available or whether it is just an alternative means of connection using the hub instead of the laptop.
Usb C and Thunderbolt carry video over Display Port as well as data throughput.

FireWire was discontinued a long time ago.

davhun

Gold Level Poster
Usb C and Thunderbolt carry video over Display Port as well as data throughput.

FireWire was discontinued a long time ago.
I do not think I have made myself clear enough. Taking the firewire example, I see that a firewire card can be fitted to a new desktop. I still have a DV camcorder and box of tapes so needing firewire is always a possibility. So why can't I fit one to a docking hub.

Now, what does the laptop hardware support. Is it only the stated in/outputs on the laptop with the hub having alternative connection locations. This means only one HDMI.
OR
Is the hub supporting twice as many connections at the same time with half on the laptop and half on the hub. In this case 2xHDMI would be supported.

I am starting to be disenchanted with docking hubs.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I still have a DV camcorder and box of tapes so needing firewire is always a possibility. So why can't I fit one to a docking hub.
It’s a legacy port, it was end of life many years ago. It’s like saying why is pci not on devices any more, or why don’t I have usb 1 ports, they’re old and no longer manufactured because they were superseded.

davhun

Gold Level Poster
It’s a legacy port, it was end of life many years ago. It’s like saying why is pci not on devices any more, or why don’t I have usb 1 ports, they’re old and no longer manufactured because they were superseded.
Forget about firewire, I think I know what the answer is.

jonnyka

the hub is a blitzwolf bw-th12, I've used it for years with a macbook pro, the hub itself was taking care of 2 external screens since the macbook didn't have any hdmi port (and with my current setup it should only take care of one external monitor)
I'm not saying it's not possible the hub is at fault here, but if i plug it in after windows booted, everything's working fine
the weird thing is if it's plugged in before boot, and i pull it out after windows logged in, it still stays stuck in that weird screen turn on-off loop, I have to turn the laptop off with the psysical power button to get things going