Recoil V 15.6 - Control Centre Tips/Advice?

Mr_Lemons

Hi all,

I have recently received my brand spanking new laptop, which so far has been great. However whilst I have somewhat of a technical brain (I am an engineer) I am not super clued up on electronics and IT.

I've noted that whilst gaming (Wasteland 3, all settings to max), if I set the profile on my laptop to 'office mode' the CPU and GPU temperatures will remain around 60 degrees C and the laptop will run quietly. I've then set the laptop to 'gaming mode' and the fans will kick up significantly, and the GPU and CPU temps will shoot up to 70-80 degrees C.

Can someone explain why this is? Does 'office mode' reduce the wattage of the components automatically? I tried to see the difference in the 'SPC Settings' and couldn't see any difference between the two modes.

Additionally, does anyone with the same chassis/setup have any tips/recommendations to optimize the system? Any good resources for me to read up on it?

Cheers!

For reference, this is what I'm using:

Chassis & DisplayRecoil Series: 15.6" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen™ 9 Eight Core Processor 5900HX (3.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair 3200MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderIntegrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
BatteryRecoil Series Integrated 94WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & WirelessGIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options1 x USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 x USB 3.2 PORTS
Keyboard LanguagePER-KEY RGB BACKLIT UK MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry we missed this.

Office mode essentially throttles the GPU and CPU as the full capabilities aren't required for just navigating the web or running office apps. As such, temps are generally far lower and fans have to work less hard.

Putting it in gaming mode will unlock the frequency of the processor and power limits and games will put a far higher load on, so the fans have to work a lot harder to keep the temps down.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
On how to configure control center, there's a good thread on here by some owners which is well worth looking at, goes into some good depth on it