Recomended Stroage Amount for A Gaming PC (When using SSD only)

DeadCell79

Hi there i have been wondering if my order has enough storage to cover the needs of a gaming pc with all the other little bits a pc needs to store as well, of which i do have externals HDD for. But speaking of the main build itself the storage options i chose was.

1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
2nd Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

my worry is over time will the combined 2TB of NVME & SSD Storage be enough or would it be better to amend my order to 2TB on the Samsung 860 QVO instead

many thanks in advance

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The ideal for me would be a 500GB 970 Evo as a primary and a 2TB Firecuda as a secondary. Lots of money but well worth it IMO as you shouldn't be left wanting with the system.

DeadCell79

The ideal for me would be a 500GB 970 Evo as a primary and a 2TB Firecuda as a secondary. Lots of money but well worth it IMO as you shouldn't be left wanting with the system.

That isnt a bad shout all things considered. i just had a look on the Amend order page and to do your suggestion is just £26 extra to pay. reducing the 1TB NVME Samsung to 500gb reduces the cost quite a bit.

do you suggest the Seagate Firecuda over the Samsung 860 QVO for its faster speed? or for their reliability

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That isnt a bad shout all things considered. i just had a look on the Amend order page and to do your suggestion is just £26 extra to pay. reducing the 1TB NVME Samsung to 500gb reduces the cost quite a bit.

do you suggest the Seagate Firecuda over the Samsung 860 QVO for its faster speed? or for their reliability

All about the speed. M2 drives are night and day with performance. If you wanted to stick with Samsung then the 2TB 970 would be fine as well, the Firecuda is just silly fast though, I would love one.

DeadCell79

All about the speed. M2 drives are night and day with performance. If you wanted to stick with Samsung then the 2TB 970 would be fine as well, the Firecuda is just silly fast though, I would love one.

I couldn't help it. i've gone with your suggestion after watching all the benchmark videos plus im getting paid in a few days so ive gone with the
1TB Firecuda 520 M.2
and the 2TB Samsung 860 QVO as the 2ndry storage option.

thanks for the advice man. (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I couldn't help it. i've gone with your suggestion after watching all the benchmark videos plus im getting paid in a few days so ive gone with the
1TB Firecuda 520 M.2
and the 2TB Samsung 860 QVO as the 2ndry storage option.

thanks for the advice man. (y)
I love it! It’s all about excess!

DeadCell79

Hi there people. so i was hoping i could get any 2nd & 3rd opinions on my build. its my first since 2011 which was a 3rd gen intel i5 CPU.
ill be doing a myriad of things on this, gaming mostly and a few other things I'm hoping to get back into like a little video editing/making as a little hobby of mine im planing to get back into since my last computer couldn't handle much.

i feel really encouraged from this build considering i felt pretty intimidated at the prospect when i started finally get this of the ground given how much things moved on from when i did this last.

just a little further context
- I decided to go with a Fan air cooler for the CPU because i wanted something to last as long as possible with little to no maintenance at all. i was worried a liquid cooler would eventually need maintenance more then i would liked.
- I felt using a external Disk drive would be a better option considering i haven't used a disk in years.
- And lastly i felt to wait on getting a sound card to see if i really needed one in the first place. I'm happy to use the onboard sound on the Motherboard

Case FRACTAL MESHIFY C BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)Change to: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics CardChange to: 8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 5700 XT - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
1st Storage DriveChange to: 2TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage DriveNONE
1st M.2 SSD DriveChange to: 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyChange to: CORSAIR 750W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingNoctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans5x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Looks excellent, the Noctua isn't enough for that chip on boost clocks though. You want the H115i Platinum on there (H100i is fine but isn't in stock). There is no issue with longevity or maintenance. I don't know where this information keeps coming from but it's nonsense. They have exactly the same life expectancy as any fan does, it's the same principle. They are sealed units from the factory too, so zero maintenence.

Feel free to wait for 2 or 3 other people to feed back as well though, my guess is everyone who knows will be of the same opinion :)

Edit:

Just noticed the excess fans. This is probably hyper critical but it's things to consider

ROG STRIX Motherboard is a bit expensive and not required, it's a nice to have though and has active VRM cooling which will be nice for high end chips and next gen. It's a decent spend as long as nothing else is taking a hit to make way for it.
32GB is too much for gaming, there's no benefit and it should be kept for video editing, large photo editing etc. Waste of money for gaming. RGB often won't fit with the bigger coolers with how PCS fit the fans.
5700XT is an excellent AMD card, but NVidia suffer far less issues with drivers and stability. Equivalent is the 2070 Super (which is a bit better) but is a fair bit more expensive. If the 5700XT is chosen to save money then fair enough, hopefully paired with a 1440p 144hz monitor, otherwise it's a waste.
Storage is as you chose it, I would be going for 2 M2 drives at this expense but it's all up to you.
Noctua isn't enough for this chip to remain optimum, as per above notes, can only advise though. Up to you.
5 Extra case fans is excessive. 1 or 2 would be fine. If opting for a 240/280mm cooler, these can be dropped entirely without concern.

Last edited:

DeadCell79

Looks excellent, the Noctua isn't enough for that chip on boost clocks though. You want the H115i Platinum on there (H100i is fine but isn't in stock). There is no issue with longevity or maintenance. I don't know where this information keeps coming from but it's nonsense. They have exactly the same life expectancy as any fan does, it's the same principle. They are sealed units from the factory too, so zero maintenence.

Feel free to wait for 2 or 3 other people to feed back as well though, my guess is everyone who knows will be of the same opinion :)

you know... i was actually puzzled why the only Noctua available was the U14S. other wise i would have probably gone for the noctua above the U14s.

I probably spent the most time bouncing between Air v Liquid coolers so many times it started to hurt my brain lol.
i came across so many YouTube Videos, Reddit post and website reviews when it came to pros and cons of Air v Liquid. to be honest i think it left me knowing more but still just as confused on what to get.

do you think its best to wait and see for PCS reports back when they do their stress tests? or just get ahead of the curve and go with the H115i Platinum, or just wait for the (H100i to come in to stock)

Appreciate the advice

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
you know... i was actually puzzled why the only Noctua available was the U14S. other wise i would have probably gone for the noctua above the U14s.

I probably spent the most time bouncing between Air v Liquid coolers so many times it started to hurt my brain lol.
i came across so many YouTube Videos, Reddit post and website reviews when it came to pros and cons of Air v Liquid. to be honest i think it left me knowing more but still just as confused on what to get.

do you think its best to wait and see for PCS reports back when they do their stress tests? or just get ahead of the curve and go with the H115i Platinum, or just wait for the (H100i to come in to stock)

Appreciate the advice
You will definitely need an AIO water cooler to maintain optimal boost clocks on that chip, I would just get the H115i rather than delaying the build.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wouldn't recommend the larger Noctua's anyway, they are massive and very heavy. Hanging that sort of weight off the motherboard is not a good plan IMO. I wish they would send them out with a bracket support or something of that ilk.

I've watched a lot of very similar reviews and I am honestly very sceptical of the earnest nature of them. Linus, for example, tested a few and said there was no difference..... yet every build he has uses AIO, every prize is AIO, etc. I just feel that there's something underhanded going on to try and sway people away. Any air cooler will heat soak FAR quicker than an AIO, due to the very design. If the air cooler expelled externally they would probably be better than the AIOs to be honest, and they react quicker. It's just not how they are designed and they also take up massive amounts of room in the case preventing good air flow.

That's from the professional side of course. From reddit and the likes, it's all bandwagon hopping. People posting up opinions on things they don't understand at all, that they read somewhere at some point and decided to add their own spin on it. There are VERY few people who fully understand the pros and cons of such coolers and I think most who do would concede that the AIOs are the way to go (when the correct one is chosen of course). There are times to go for air coolers, no doubt.... they are fantastic at what they do. But when real heat is involved it's best to fire it out the back of the machine rather than in and around the case.

You aren't going to get anything from the PCS report. All they will look for is stability, and the system will be stable. 12 cores going at it full chat for an hour or so is going to put out a LOT of heat.

Which brings me onto one more point that I hadn't mentioned above. The 3800X would be more than enough for your needs and for purely gaming the Noctua would have you covered (AIO would be better but the air should handle it very well). For gaming the 3800X with the B550 motherboard would likely allow for a 2070 Super :)

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
Reading this I should swap my RGB RAM for the the non-RGB, given my build is very similar. Re the fans and bigger cooler.

Ideally I wanted 32gb 3600mhz but it's not available

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Reading this I should swap my RGB RAM for the the non-RGB, given my build is very similar. Re the fans and bigger cooler.

Ideally I wanted 32gb 3600mhz but it's not available

If the configurator is allowing it, you may be absolutely fine. There have been times in the past where PCS have called customers to change. There's no issue with RGB, I have it in my build also, they just sometimes seem to have difficulty fitting everything in where they would like :)

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
If the configurator is allowing it, you may be absolutely fine. There have been times in the past where PCS have called customers to change. There's no issue with RGB, I have it in my build also, they just sometimes seem to have difficulty fitting everything in where they would like :)

Tbh there's no difference in performance right? I just chose it because I know no nothing haha. Thanks for all your input and advice.

DeadCell79

i made the switch, i figured why delay the build and risk furthering the process
H115i Platinum in
and i had go down to 3x extra fans from the original option of 5x of the Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan which is understandable

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
i made the switch, i figured why delay the build and risk furthering the process
H115i Platinum in
and i had go down to 3x extra fans from the original option of 5x of the Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan which is understandable

You don't want to have any extra case fans on there. I would remove them.

DeadCell79

You don't want to have any extra case fans on there. I would remove them.

I wanted the fans primarily because the room I'm in with my pc has little to no ventilation unless i have a fan on which sits on the window ledge angled in my direction on the opposite side of the room to get adequate air flow. (summer times are rough :LOL:)

plus I've kinda been looking forward to having a RGB set up for years. so its a two birds one stone type deal.

i am however really interested to know how they will manage fan placement when they start building it. ideally ive always liked the idea of 3 of those fans at the front and the case's stock fans at the back or wherever. i guess it all depends on the where the CPU cooler can fit too.

the last build i had back in 2011/12 had some great cable management was really impressed

DeadCell79

little update for you. PCS got in touch about my build letting me know the Meshify C case. couldn't fit the CPU Cooler and the GPU i had chosen. so they suggested one (CORSAIR 275R) but ill be honest. I'm not a fan of the way that case looks and id imagine PCS would never suggest on up selling unless they absolutely had to. so i ended up going with the MESHIFY S2 instead. a bit bigger then i had originally planed but i do really like the case.

i was however wondering weather or not the CPU Cooler (H115i Platinum) and the additional x3 extra fans is good enough in keeping air flow and Temps at a good enough level. i don't particularly plan to overlock but i like the option knowing i can if i change my mind with what's already in place.

seeing you can add/have 9 fans had me thinking if it was overkill or not, but considering what SCOTT said about not having any extra fans ive left it as is

machine is currently (IN-TESTING)