Recommendation: Need headphones with mic around £150

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
I'm looking to buy decent-quality headphones for work and gaming with wireless/bluetooth. Comfort is key for an extended period. I'd love some recommendations.

Are these any good?

Any other recommendations?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Couple of vids worth watching:

Headsets are a difficult one as peoples expectations are largely subjective, ie personal to them. What one person may consider too much bass, the next could find just right. Similarly microphone quality may not be of huge importance to some and more to others.

I've currently got the Steelseries Arctis 7 which is a few years old now, previous to that I've had several like the Astro A50 (really didn't like them, thought they were HUGELY overpriced for their performance), the really old Logitech G35 (my favourite headset of all time for sound performance, only let down by weak join between ear cup and head strap, had two pairs and both broke in same place, INCREDIBLE bass response)

Actually I've now had the Steelseries since the very beginning of 2020, and overall, I'm extremely happy with them, but I've not used the mic, it's quite a nice design where the mic can retreat into the ear cup if you're not using it. They're not the greatest bass response, but surprisingly detailed highs and mids, and there are moments when the bass hits you more than you expect it to. But 4 years later, I'm still on the original battery and use it daily overnight and I've probably lost 20% battery length, which I think is extremely good. Batteries are also user replaceable which was a huge must.

But it's the price, especially when comparing to something crazy pricey like the Astro's, I really didn't see much difference between the Astro's and the Steelseries at all, in fact in a lot of ways I thought the Steelseries were far better at half the cost.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The other thing worth mentioning, have you heard of the ModMic?

It's a mic you an attach to pretty much any headphone for voice.

I mention it because, depending on what you're after, you can get an insanely good pair of audio headphones and then attach a mod mic.

There are alternatives to the ModMic as well that are cheaper, I just mention them as they were the ones to start. it off

This would up the budget though, but thinking of a longer term investment.

If that's something you're interested in, I really can't recommend these enough, I have a pair of Hifiman Sundara headphones which use a driver technology called planar magnetic rather than the normal dynamic drivers

Planar Magnetics are highly sought after (and usually expensive) because they have much much faster reaction, if you think of the mass of a dynamic, having to push and pull that back and forth, there is a delay as the driver settles and then returns. With Planars, it's a molecule thin film that weighs absolutely nothing, so each sound is absolutely immediate.

Hifimans have managed to put out some incredible Planars at really affordable prices.

At around £125 you can get the HE400SE which are their entry level Planars.

This would smash any gaming headset in performance, hearing minute sounds in the distance in games, peoples voices would be far clearer.

They really are fantastic headphones.

In fact they're on offer at Scan for £100, this is an awful lot of headphone for the price.