Remote Desktop Connection

Hi,

I need to set up a remote desktop connection to a PC. The PC is located in a room that it not always accessible and so is set up to automatically log in to its user account. The PC is used to view a dashboard that is displayed on a TV.

I have found that connecting to the PC via remote desktop connection (MSTSC) kills the display on the TV and only allows you to view it from the PC you have connected in from. I need to be able to control the dashboard PC from another PC whilst retaining its display on the TV.

Please can someone advise me if this is possible and how to set this up?

Thanks

Thanks for the response ubuysa. We used to have this set up a while ago without having to install or use other applications but just can't figure out how.

LFFPicard

Godlike
Microsofts remote desktop connection would be best, but it is only available on Pro and higher versions of windows.
Let me know what you have and I can either direct you to a guide or tell you how.

Teamviewer although I use myself is only free for personal use not commercial. Also when you connect to the host computer it automatically changes the colour scheme and turns of Aero (I believe that can be tweaked in settings)
Remote desktop will keep the settings how you like and allow you to use the host printer etc.

Both are relatively easy to set up.

Thanks LFFPicard.

We run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. If you need more info, let me know what and I'll supply it.

Yes these are company PC's so unable to use Teamviewer I guess?

I've had a good root around on the web trying to find something that tells me how to RDP whilst keeping the display active on the TV, but unable to find anything

Last edited:

LFFPicard

Godlike
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/...ect-using-remote-desktop-connection=windows-7

That is a how-to on RDP.
Basically you have to enable the host computer.
The computer that connects, when you start RDP you can look in the settings and based on the connection you choose will determine the quality used on the connection, choose LAN, also in Display and Experience tabs there are other options.

Attached are the settings I use at work to remote to our servers upstairs, this keeps the quality on the host and last I checked when upstairs and viewing the monitor it looked fine when someone was connected.

RDP1.jpg / RDP2.jpg