Rendering Video - is the kind of speed I should expect?

shades

Silver Level Poster
Hi all

Just rendered some video (DV to AVI) in Sony Vegas Movie Studio. A 1:45 minute clip took about 4 minutes. Is that what I ought to be expecting?

Thanks

pengipete

Rising Star
Difficult question to answer as you'd need someone with the same setup and the same video - DV is a compressed format so playing time is not necessarily an indication of the actual amount of data that needs to be decompressed and converted. I found a thread from last December on a video forum that suggests that people are seeing around 2.5 times - i.e. a one minute DV takes approx 2.5 minutes to convert to AVI - which seems about right with your results but with little information on CPUs , amount of RAM etc it's hard to say if there's any distinct correlation.

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
Not knowing any variables (e.g. resloution etc.) that sounds about right. Maybe a little bit on the slow side. I'm going to guess that the resolution being used is 720 x 576 in which case your rig should probably be a little quicker but I'd be surprised if it was as fast as real-time. I don't think Vegas supports more than 2 processing cores.

Is the rendering pre-editing, mid-editing (preview rendering) or post-editing?

If it is pre-editing (i.e. you're converting to AVI to put into a useful format to edit with) then you might be better-off using Handbrake.

shades

Silver Level Poster
Hi Guys. Thanks for your responses. Just realised the reason is I'm choosing the wrong template when rendering. Now I've changed that it's flying through the rendering. Once again, thanks for your time.