Reoccurring blue screen.

Jock

Ok trying to boot from my external with the downloaded tool from Microsoft doesn’t work either. After bios menu, straight to blue screen with the kernel error.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok trying to boot from my external with the downloaded tool from Microsoft doesn’t work either. After bios menu, straight to blue screen with the kernel error.
You haven’t booted the USB, it’s booting windows

There is no BSOD possible off the USB, it’s running entirely separate from the pc

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah sounds as though you need to go into the bios and make sure the USB is at the top of the boot order

Jock

You haven’t booted the USB, it’s booting windows

There is no BSOD possible off the USB, it’s running entirely separate from the pc
Alright then I don’t know what I’m doing at all. I downloaded and ran the tool from your first link. This is what the files now look like on the drive I’m using.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Whilst it's hard to discern exactly how Windows operates at this level (because it's not documented), the Windows Internals book (which is The Bible on Windows internals) indicates that the hypervisor is always present. The block diagram here, very similar to the one from the Windows Internals book, shows that the hypervisor, at minimum, splits the kernel into two 'virtual trust levels', one (VTL0) running Virtualisation Based Security (if active) and kernel device drivers, and the other (VTL1) running the user-mode functions. This is the level of hypervisor functions that is always present on Windows 10/11 - it will be in this area that the 0x20001 hypervisor BSODs happen. Generally they are caused either by hardware or UEFI config configuration mismatches or by real hardware failures.

View attachment 40637

If it BSODs starting in Safe Mode then it's almost certainly a hardware (or configuration) problem. @SpyderTracks knows far more about hardwaree than I do, so I will defer to him there.
Thanks for that, that's really helpful. I'd misread the BSOD as being hypervisor.exe but it's not mentioning the process specifically as you say, but the actual platform.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Buy a new (8GB min) USB drive, and on another PC/laptop download the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool (use the Create Windows 11 Install Media option). Once that's done, boot that USB on that other PC/laptop just to confirm that it's good. Then plug it in to your PC, ensure it's at the top of the boot order and then boot it. Be sure to select the USB drive itself and not a partition within it.