Replacement for Gefore 8800 GTX

JSG10

Expert
Hi guys,

My brothers GPU decided to pack in this morning. Not sure why, its got a bit of dust but not excessive and the fan is still spinning up, just no signal to the monitor.
I tried it with my monitor and cables to rule those out and it still didn't work.

Took it out and gave it a quick clean and reseated it and made sure all the connections were good as I noticed one was loose taking it out but still no joy, I think its had it :(

So that being said, I'm on the hunt for a replacement for it, he's saving as much money as he can at the moment as he's off to Canada for a year in May which is why I haven't suggested anything like that GTX 570/80 for him! haha
It does need to be something with similar performance so that he can continue playing WoW and doing his raids, probably not looking at spending more than £100.

Any one got any suggestions?

Nemesis

IF ATI is a possibility then ATI HD5770 is supposed to be the best for the £100 market (at least thats what ive heard!)

JSG10

Expert
Yeah ATI is a possibility.. don't see why it wouldn't be lol
Was actually looking at the 5770 earlier! So thanks for confirming my thoughts on that one :)

Would something like the 9500GT be any good? Baring in mind this is really a temporary card for just a couple of months. They come in at less than £50 and obviously in his case the cheaper the better but hopefully keeping at least the same performance :)

Razzy

Current comp the now I am using a 9500GT and it is fine for most games expect the really new ones and most can be played at a good graphic setting

JSG10

Expert
Hi again all.

Got another 8800GTX lined up :)

Just wanted to check something that has me wondering if something else is up. I took the card out and plugged the monitor into the mobo DVI output and also tried the VGA output yet still couldn't get a signal. Surely it would have just gone straight to onboard gfx and given me a display if there is no card there?
Can someone confirm please. :)

Tez77

Enthusiast
arrr just soild one of them from my old machine gtx8800 756mb i am thinking same should of gone to the onboard have u tryed a differnent montior

JSG10

Expert
Yep tried on my monitor with my cables which I know work as they're all new and I got them with my PCS machine :)