replacing cpu + case fans, need ideas and advice

kokabel

Bronze Level Poster
I suspect that my cpu heatsink fan is on it's way out, or at least I think it may be that, or one of the case fans (angry whirring noise on start up, stops after a few minutes). This is typical as I just replaced my video card because of ongoing fan issues. :p May as well replace them all while I'm at it, since it doesn't look too expensive to do. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations - I think (just eyeballing it) the cpu heatsink fan is 80mm, and the case fans are standard 120mm. I don't imagine I need to seek any specific brand, so long as they are right dimensions, is that correct? The cpu fan is held onto the heatsink via a sort of metal clip that looks easily removable, so I shouldn't have to take off the whole thing if only replacing the fan.

I quite like these... mmm, purple. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=517831827&pf_rd_i=typ01

No idea if they're any good/what I'm looking for though. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Certainly better to go with a decent fan rather than just any old rubbish, the corsair ones are pretty solid in that regard so no issues with that.

For the cpu cooler you will want one optimised for higher static pressure rather than airflow. But for the chassis fans airflow is the way to go.

So yeah, pick the correct size and it should be fine.

kokabel

Bronze Level Poster
Sweet thanks, that was gonna be my next question too. I wondered if the ones labelled as static pressure were for going up against stuff, good to know.

Last edited: