Replacing Windows 8.1 with Wiindows 7

johnstone666

Just got my new gaming laptop Elite IV with dual graphics etc.
Not too keen on the Windows 8 operating system and wondering if the 8.1 driver disk that has come with it will be sufficient to use if I put my own version of Windows 7 on the machine or do i need other driver disk?

T

TheGeeza

Are you sure you want to replace it? If it is the UI you are unhappy with you could always download something like classic shell to make it look and work like windows 7.

johnstone666

yip its the ui, i am struggling to even see how to close running programmes when i am finished with them, looks like they just stay running in background. I thought 8.1 was meamt to have option to behave and look like Windows 7??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you really want windows 7 (personally I'd go with TheGeeza suggestion and install classic shell), then you'd need windows 7 drivers which you can get by logging into your pcs account.

steaky360

If you use windows 8.1 in desktop mode it does work (for the most part) like windows 7. You might need to tell certain programs to close however.

I think you can close programs running in the background by hovering the mouse in the top left corner and right clicking (maybe... I'm at work at the minute so cant check).

johnstone666

found the drivers on my account page thanks. Now need to decide whether to percevere with it or rebuild.
are there many technical advantages to windows 8??

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
found the drivers on my account page thanks. Now need to decide whether to percevere with it or rebuild.
are there many technical advantages to windows 8??

Longer life, slightly better performance in newer games, a few handy feature enhancements.

TheGSL

Silver Level Poster
It's a smaller footprint to install, but technical advantages... there might be some features you prefer in 8.1, advantages,
personally, I can't think of any, and like you, I am going back to 7 64 bit, triple booting with ubuntu and another os. Just no
need for 8.1 really for me, better compatability with 7 for a lot of stuff.