Resolution

Yamikotai

Expert
So I've been messing around with the resolution on my (24" 1080p 60Hz) monitor. The thing can't go above 66Hz, but the resolution scales super well; This is the best I've managed to get it.

2960x1665 seems about the highest resolution I can have before standard-sized text becomes too small to read properly. It actually seems like a slightly higher DPI than my laptop screen, now.

RgtSJtd.png

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Wait how did you increase the resolution past 1080p? and above 60Hz?

EDIT: Also do games work ok with that resolution? maybe it would work better if you reduced to 2560x1440

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
How do you get it above 1080p, I just get an error saying its not supported, but I did get an extra 6Hz out of it :D

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Is this healthy for the monitor? I assume it's not actually increasing the resolution but just scaling it like an xbox would scale from 720p to look like 1080p?

Also can you game in increased resolutions? Is it any more taxing on the GPU or does it even improve it?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Is this healthy for the monitor? I assume it's not actually increasing the resolution but just scaling it like an xbox would scale from 720p to look like 1080p?

Also can you game in increased resolutions? Is it any more taxing on the GPU or does it even improve it?

Stretching and scaling down resolutions is basically anti-aliasing, so I imagine it would help the jaggies

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Just a heads up I thought I'd broken my monitor when changing the resolution, got 'Out of Range' error on my monitor, luckily a reboot fixed it but just a warning, it may be due to me having two monitors and also maximum resolution is 2560x1600 (although I used 2560x1440)

Yamikotai

Expert
I know there is a maximum res that the monitor complains at. I tried 4K and it just said NO.

It's not great for the monitor, but I need a new one anyway :p

Keedar

Expert
I tried with my 600hz neo plasma tv buahaha.I got black screen and thats all :) Next time if i will decide to get new tv i will take my pc with me and i tell them that they are liars. :D