Restart loop

Zetine

Computer suddenly crashed out of windows and was caught in a reboot cycle, where it say it would need to restart, then would freeze on the restart and again, would say it would need to restart, looping and not fixing anything.

After a while attempting to boot in safe mode, and messing with the BIOS boot settings, I have managed to locate the fault to the RAM. My system is equipped with 2 8GB RAM sticks.

However, when attempting to boot the system with just one stick of RAM, it boots perfectly without any fault. And this is with either stick, so the actual RAM itself is fine, I believe the fault lies in the Dual Channel setup, as no matter which slots the RAM is placed, the PC refuses to boot if they are both inserted.

I thought I would would post this here to see if anyone has any other suggestions as to how I might fix this, before sending back to PCS. Although I don't actually think this is anything I can fix myself, as I've also installed the latest BIOS and still nothing, so I believe the problem is hardware related.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
To be honest that does sound like a hardware issue rather than anything else. The fact that either stick in either slot works is a good indicator of it. Nor does anything spring to mind where Windows could be the cause of this behaviour.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
To be honest that does sound like a hardware issue rather than anything else. The fact that either stick in either slot works is a good indicator of it. Nor does anything spring to mind where Windows could be the cause of this behaviour.

I would agree. You've done the troubleshooting well and identified the root cause, but there's something up if both sticks boot fine on their own but not as a pair.

Just wondering though, usually mobo's have 4 dimms, and if using 1 pair, they have to be in correct dimm slots so for instance dimms 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 but not 1 & 2 etc, usually they're colour coded to this effect or it's mentioned in the manual.

Zetine

Just wondering though, usually mobo's have 4 dimms, and if using 1 pair, they have to be in correct dimm slots so for instance dimms 1 & 3 or 2 & 4 but not 1 & 2 etc, usually they're colour coded to this effect or it's mentioned in the manual.

They were in dimms 2 and 4, and I tested if it would boot correctly in them ones, as well as 1 and 3, 1 and 2 etc., and it made no difference unfortunately

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
They were in dimms 2 and 4, and I tested if it would boot correctly in them ones, as well as 1 and 3, 1 and 2 etc., and it made no difference unfortunately

I think then you've tried everything logical, I would give PCS a call, they're open til 8.

Sounds like there's an issue with the motherboard perhaps.

Zetine

I think then you've tried everything logical, I would give PCS a call, they're open til 8.

Sounds like there's an issue with the motherboard perhaps.

Yeah I feared that would be the case, probably going to be another case of an RMA, this would be the second time now, and I've only had the poor thing for 76 days today and I've only really been able to use it for around half that. Last issue was with the PSU, which was out of stock for almost a month so I ended up just paying for the slightly better one.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I feared that would be the case, probably going to be another case of an RMA, this would be the second time now, and I've only had the poor thing for 76 days today and I've only really been able to use it for around half that. Last issue was with the PSU, which was out of stock for almost a month so I ended up just paying for the slightly better one.

I remember that one.... just really bad luck unfortunately. I do feel your pain!

Out of interest, what motherboard is it?

Zetine

I remember that one.... just really bad luck unfortunately. I do feel your pain!

Out of interest, what motherboard is it?

ASUS® ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, WIFI - RGB Ready

Also the RAM I have is the 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB), just in case.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs, WIFI - RGB Ready

Also the RAM I have is the 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB), just in case.

Can’t find anything obvious on the web... think rma is best course.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

I wonder whether your earlier PSU issue (whatever that was) damaged the mobo in some why which has only come to light now?

Zetine

I wonder whether your earlier PSU issue (whatever that was) damaged the mobo in some why which has only come to light now?

They didn't detail what what wrong with the PSU, only that it needed replacing.

Might be the case, just a shame that only a few months in and I'm already coming across serious problems with hardware :helpsmilie:

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
At this point, I too would be calling PCS to discuss the problem, check any last troubleshooting, and most likely arrange an RMA...

Zetine

At this point, I too would be calling PCS to discuss the problem, check any last troubleshooting, and most likely arrange an RMA...

Yeah, I've called up and arranged an RMA, they basically said what most of you have, and it should be getting picked up tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's not gonna take too long repair, or replace if needed.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
When I had my PC in 2012, it had some issues. A couple were pretty minor like a fan failing, easy replacement. Unfortunately my CPU developed a fault and it took a while to really narrow it down and get it fixed. So similar to what you had, with a PSU causing issues, then apparently the motherboard.

The point is, once they had it back and went over it properly, replaced the CPU (in my case), it's been more or less plain sailing ever since. So fingers crossed, but with any luck once they have it in and fix the problem you'll be set for a good long while.