RIP Sir Clive Sinclair

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’ve only just seen that Sir Clive has passed away at the age of 81. I’m sure a fair few of our more seasoned forum members cut their computing teeth on the ZX Spectrum and its rubbery keys so let’s raise a glass to his memory this evening.

1838A494-428A-4035-83D5-B27029EBF205.jpeg

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I seen that, I think it was yesterday. That guy had a true love of the computer. I don't think the world of home computers would have taken off anywhere near like it did without him.
Absolutely, the landscape of British computing would be a very different place. It’s doubtful that some of our best would have been able to learn their trade. Would we have had greats like Codemasters, DMA Design and The Bitmap Brothers without Sir Clive?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Don't forget the Sinclair C5...........

View attachment 29313
See, that’s a sad thing for me. Whilst we’re celebrating him here, a lot of people will only remember him for that. It was a visionary idea, just not executed well.

If things had gone slightly differently and the idea had stuck we’d probably be about thirty years ahead of where we are now with electric powered vehicles and with a much better carbon footprint.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well I've met him, at a black tie event at the Cafe Royal many years back.

Whilst I have no wish to speak ill of the dead he was (how shall I put this?) eccentric in the extreme. I had no wish to ever meet him again.

He did make a major contribution to home computing though. Sad news.