RIP to Ubisoft?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Seems like Ubisoft truly hate PC gamers

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/matthew-wilson/the-division-developer-downgrading-pc-game-2/

First they released their awful Uplay platform and then they released watch dogs and hid half of the settings. Far Cry 4 will now look the same as consoles and according to the article above so will The Division.

I know EA have never been great but Ubisoft seem to be doing everything they can to destroy themselves on PC.

Valve all the way! :D

And also the interesting response to Watch Dogs being downgraded:

The dev team is completely dedicated to getting the most out of each platform, so the notion that we would actively downgrade quality is contrary to everything we’ve set out to achieve. We test and optimize our games for each platform on which they’re released, striving for the best possible quality. The PC version does indeed contain some old, unused render settings that were deactivated for a variety of reasons, including possible impacts on visual fidelity, stability, performance and overall gameplay quality. Modders are usually creative and passionate players, and while we appreciate their enthusiasm, the mod in question (which uses those old settings) subjectively enhances the game’s visual fidelity in certain situations but also can have various negative impacts. Those could range from performance issues, to difficulty in reading the environment in order to appreciate the gameplay, to potentially making the game less enjoyable or even unstable.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Regardless of whether the article is true or not, I don't think I'll buy another Ubisoft game on pc ever again. I spent around £60 on both AC IV and Watch Dogs, granted that's cheaper than console prices, but they both ran terribly - Watch Dogs still does run pretty badly, However I can now play AC IV on High with decent fps.

It's not just that they may be downgrading graphics, it's how poorly they optimize their games for PC. I really want to play Far Cry 4, but if I do it'll be on console.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Call me cynical, but i never expected Ubisoft to produce a game that looked or even played as good as the fancy so called gameplay videos they produce. However, this is the same for most of the AAA games companies and publishers.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Regardless of whether the article is true or not, I don't think I'll buy another Ubisoft game on pc ever again. I spent around £60 on both AC IV and Watch Dogs, granted that's cheaper than console prices, but they both ran terribly - Watch Dogs still does run pretty badly, However I can now play AC IV on High with decent fps.

It's not just that they may be downgrading graphics, it's how poorly they optimize their games for PC. I really want to play Far Cry 4, but if I do it'll be on console.

I too will be skipping Ubi games after Watch Dogs and now Far Cry. Seems like instead of properly optimizing it they are just gonna not bother with features exclusive to PC.

Such a shame really, I love the Trials games.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Call me cynical, but i never expected Ubisoft to produce a game that looked or even played as good as the fancy so called gameplay videos they produce. However, this is the same for most of the AAA games companies and publishers.

The graphics are there though, the settings options were just removed from view. There is a mod that gives access to all of the settings and they have little to no effect on performance.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
The graphics are there though, the settings options were just removed from view. There is a mod that gives access to all of the settings and they have little to no effect on performance.

Yeah but surely the point is, that ubisoft dummed down the pc version of watch dogs. And looking at this information are probably going to do a similar thing with the division and far cry4.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I can't say I'll boycott Ubisoft games, because I love AC too much. FC3 has also made me excited for FC4, with or without cheeky console pandering shenanigans.

However, even while still giving Ubi my money, I shall nevertheless shake a metaphoric...NO DAMMIT, A REAL FIST in protest against their wicked ways!

That do ya? :D

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
It'll be interesting to see how well GTA V plays on PC. If it is optimized properly, Ubisoft will have more questions to answer. Rather than constantly going on about how well their team has done/how difficult it is to develop across multiple platforms. They need to man up and accept that the PC version of WD is just not up to standard, both in a graphical sense as well as how well it plays.

It makes me laugh a Ubi representative said this:

"We test and optimise our games for each platform on which they're released, striving for the best possible quality"

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
It'll be interesting to see how well GTA V plays on PC. If it is optimized properly, Ubisoft will have more questions to answer. Rather than constantly going on about how well their team has done/how difficult it is to develop across multiple platforms. They need to man up and accept that the PC version of WD is just not up to standard, both in a graphical sense as well as how well it plays.

It makes me laugh a Ubi representative said this:

"We test and optimise our games for each platform on which they're released, striving for the best possible quality"

If its anything to go by, Max Payne 3 ran pretty good on PC and looked great as well.

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
If its anything to go by, Max Payne 3 ran pretty good on PC and looked great as well.

True, I really need to buy that game again, played it on 360 and loved it. On the other hand, GTA IV's optimization was so poor.

tom_gr7

Life Serving

yeah +1 Max Payne 3 was fantastic. As was Tomb Raider, a few driver bugs for NV users upon release (thanks to AMD stopping NV getting a copy of the game before release)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
True, I really need to buy that game again, played it on 360 and loved it. On the other hand, GTA IV's optimization was so poor.

Yeh but most games since then on PC have been good ports. LA Noire looked pretty great although suffered from a 30fps lock (to make it feel "like a movie")

Rainy

Bronze Level Poster
Is there any indication of the minimum and recommended requirements for GTA V yet?

Oh yeah forgot to add, I'll see if I can find it, but a Ubi representative apparently encouraged all PC Watch Dog owners to turn off auto update after their patch was released - which made performance worse for many.