RTX 3080 vs AMD 6800 XT

Sullytech

How may people in the waiting list for a 3080 intend to switch to a 6800 XT ?

I have been waiting about a month for my 3080 build and at this stage I will take any comparable graphics card. My last PC died two months ago (CPU/MOBO failure) and I am thinking of ordering the new one without a card, and temporarily installing my old card.

As I understand it I will loose my place in the 3080 list, but I am hoping I can get a better place in the AMD 6800 list when it releases on the 18th of November.

Last edited:

yossarian01603

I can't imagine you'll be alone! It's not a bad trade-off, the 6800XT seems to compare favourably in pure performance and price. However, that's only going by AMD's own benchmarks. Regardless, I think the difference between the two will be negligible unless having the best Ray-Tracing performance is really important to you (in which case the 3800 will be the better option). However that only really matters if loads of games are implementing it, which isn't really the case atm.

Sullytech

I can't imagine you'll be alone! It's not a bad trade-off, the 6800XT seems to compare favourably in pure performance and price. However, that's only going by AMD's own benchmarks. Regardless, I think the difference between the two will be negligible unless having the best Ray-Tracing performance is really important to you (in which case the 3800 will be the better option). However that only really matters if loads of games are implementing it, which isn't really the case atm.
Yea Ray-Tracing is cool but not having a gaming computer till next year isn't :p Looks like my setup will be able to use that new Smart Access Memory (SAM) stuff too which is nice.
I think this whole PSU automated email thing that went out today just put me over the edge :p

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'll be switching. The 6800XT seems to have a slight edge (at least by AMD's benchmarks) at 4K and I've got a high-end 4K monitor, so that makes sense to me. AMD's software approach to Ray Tracing will only get better as the software improves, while Nvidia's hardware Ray Tracing seems to be streets ahead at the moment, but won't improve until they release their next hardware.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
I'm possibly swapping, will see what the reviewers say and make a decision closer to the time.

My order is already in build (liquid series) but waiting on 3080, which the email said it could be 1 to 2 months which is a long wait considering I ordered in sept.
I have emailed them to see where in the queue you would be for the new AMD cards if you order at 2pm on launch day considering my PC has been in the build stage since 13th October now.
Surely people swapping from a 3080 to a AMD GPU should be placed at the front of the queue, otherwise people who ordered a PC on the 18th November will get their PC before someone who ordered in September but have been waiting just on the 3080.

Sullytech

I'm possibly swapping, will see what the reviewers say and make a decision closer to the time.

My order is already in build (liquid series) but waiting on 3080, which the email said it could be 1 to 2 months which is a long wait considering I ordered in sept.
I have emailed them to see where in the queue you would be for the new AMD cards if you order at 2pm on launch day considering my PC has been in the build stage since 13th October now.
Surely people swapping from a 3080 to a AMD GPU should be placed at the front of the queue, otherwise people who ordered a PC on the 18th November will get their PC before someone who ordered in September but have been waiting just on the 3080.
Please let us know what PCS say about people moving from one waiting list to another ! I just amended my order and took out the 3080 so I guess I am out of the queue, I just hope I can get a 6800XT on or around launch.

I am not sure giving priority to people who are waiting on 3080's would be fair, but I do see where your coming from.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
That might be how they'll do it. I'm not connected to PCS, so not speaking with any authority, but by changing your order, you're giving up your place in the 3080 queue and joining the 6800XT queue. I think it's likely that if you amend your order just after 2pm on the 18th, then you'll be among the first to get one. If you amend your order at, for example 6pm on the 18th, you'll likely join the 6800XT queue behind those who will have amended or ordered between 2pm and 5:59pm.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
Please let us know what PCS say about people moving from one waiting list to another ! I just amended my order and took out the 3080 so I guess I am out of the queue, I just hope I can get a 6800XT on or around launch.

I am not sure giving priority to people who are waiting on 3080's would be fair, but I do see where your coming from.
Will do.
Obviously I not saying I should jump in front of people ordering a AMD GPU before me, but then I could say, well I ordered the CPU, PSU, RAM etc (if its the same type) 2 months before the person ordering the GPU, thats why I've asked PCS the question, just to get some sort of idea if its better to wait or swap.
I'm in no rush for the PC but have told them I would like it mid December at the latest ideally.
Personally I just feel sorting the back log of orders waiting would be better than putting new orders first.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not unless you've already managed to order a 5000 series Ryzen it won't
This is right, needs to be with a 5000 series processor, although anyone ordering now should be looking to update their processor to the 5000 range on Thursday, for the price difference it's a substantial improvement in all areas.

I'm really excited by this Smart Access Memory. I've been NVidia for quite a long time now on the GPU side, and both my screens are full GSync, so would have to replace them if I do end up moving to AMD, but this SAM stuff is what's pushing me in that direction, along with the confirmation that the 6000 GPU's do in fact have hardware Ray Tracing cores.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
This is right, needs to be with a 5000 series processor, although anyone ordering now should be looking to update their processor to the 5000 range on Thursday, for the price difference it's a substantial improvement in all areas.

I'm really excited by this Smart Access Memory. I've been NVidia for quite a long time now on the GPU side, and both my screens are full GSync, so would have to replace them if I do end up moving to AMD, but this SAM stuff is what's pushing me in that direction, along with the confirmation that the 6000 GPU's do in fact have hardware Ray Tracing cores.
Welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

scarpa1

Enthusiast
Will PCS have stock on the 18th or do they order after to meet demand?

Pretty sure I will be swapping to a AMD GPU as waiting on the 3080 seems like it could take me into next year which I dont want.
Though having said that I worried that might be the case whatever GPU I pick as if you try and order a liquid series now it says 2 month build time, hopefully with mine being in 'the build stage' since 13th October that wont be the case.

Only good thing is its given me time to swap to the new CPU's coming on Thursday and its given me more time to decide on what monitor to get and that I didnt jump the gun and purchased a GSync one already.

Danpulse

Bronze Level Poster
I am definitely moving to team red this generation now.

I emailed PCS regarding info on 6800xt and i won't post the most pointless reply ever here but i will still be moving over .

Think a few heads will be rolling at team greens head office over this.

But with lock down and my industry being closed hope I have the funds to upgrade my cpu too the 5000 series as i may as well take advantage of all possible team red benefits.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Will PCS have stock on the 18th or do they order after to meet demand?

Pretty sure I will be swapping to a AMD GPU as waiting on the 3080 seems like it could take me into next year which I dont want.
Though having said that I worried that might be the case whatever GPU I pick as if you try and order a liquid series now it says 2 month build time, hopefully with mine being in 'the build stage' since 13th October that wont be the case.

Only good thing is its given me time to swap to the new CPU's coming on Thursday and its given me more time to decide on what monitor to get and that I didnt jump the gun and purchased a GSync one already.
PCS are a partner for most of the big ones like AMD, NVidia, Intel, so they get stock ready for the time they go live on release day.

scarpa1

Enthusiast

Just had an email back about swapping from 3080's to a 6800xt on launch day and basically they don't know how it will go.
They have just told me they have no idea when I can expect my order, be it with a 3080 or a 6800 as they can't say what other components might be out of stock too.
They did say I shouldn't be pushed back further in the build queue but again it depends on other parts being in stock too.
I think I'm just going to wait until near the 18th Nov, perhaps a day or two before, ring them up and see what actually has already been built as its in the build stage and what actually is in stock that I have ordered and then amend everything at 2pm on the 18th, and hope for the best.

Last edited: