RTX 3080

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The leaks from the last day or two seem to suggest that if you want the best ray tracing performance currently available, go for the 3080, if you want the faster card, it might be the 6800XT as it has more VRAM. Still waiting to see some "real world" 6800XT benchmarks, which will start to come in from the middle of next week.
VRAM doesn’t have any effect on speed. There’s no issue at all with the 10gb on the 3080. People assume incorrectly that as all the VRAM is allocated when you start a game that there’s not enough, the reality is that the game is only using a fraction of it, it’s just grabbed the full quota. There is no game in existence that will max out the 3080 VRAM at 4k or under.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
From what I've seen so far it's basically down to the utilisation of the cores. Nvidia have attributed a portion to doing a single Ray Tracing task, AMD haven't. This means that all the AMD horses are pulling in the same direction, which theoretically gives more overall juice than the Nvidia offering, when it comes to Ray Tracing though, it's a whole other ball game.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how things pan out when the proper testing begins.

I honestly can't wait.

As a side note, it seems to me that they effectively work with the same efficiency. Both teams have got the cards running to similar output levels, with all things considered, vs the wattage they use to create.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
The leaks from the last day or two seem to suggest that if you want the best ray tracing performance currently available, go for the 3080, if you want the faster card, it might be the 6800XT as it has more VRAM. Still waiting to see some "real world" 6800XT benchmarks, which will start to come in from the middle of next week.
That's a very good point. Can't wait to see actual benchmarks. I guess 16gb vram could be handy for future proofing
From what I've seen so far it's basically down to the utilisation of the cores. Nvidia have attributed a portion to doing a single Ray Tracing task, AMD haven't. This means that all the AMD horses are pulling in the same direction, which theoretically gives more overall juice than the Nvidia offering, when it comes to Ray Tracing though, it's a whole other ball game.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how things pan out when the proper testing begins.

I honestly can't wait.

As a side note, it seems to me that they effectively work with the same efficiency. Both teams have got the cards running to similar output levels, with all things considered, vs the wattage they use to create.
I must admit, with RDNA2 is good in general for ray tracing though maybe not quite to 3080, but performs a little better on other departments. It could sway me to RDNA2 is price is good and they manage to resolve driver issues. I'm guessing they will be putting a lot of work on drivers, since the graphic cards for the 2 upcoming game consoles needs to be working with no issues from day of launch and I hope the same for their pc graphic card

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's a very good point. Can't wait to see actual benchmarks. I guess 16gb vram could be handy for future proofing

I must admit, with RDNA2 is good in general for ray tracing though maybe not quite to 3080, but performs a little better on other departments. It could sway me to RDNA2 is price is good and they manage to resolve driver issues. I'm guessing they will be putting a lot of work on drivers, since the graphic cards for the 2 upcoming game consoles needs to be working with no issues from day of launch and I hope the same for their pc graphic card

10GB of VRam is more than enough for anything that the cards are ever going to be able to do gaming wise. The only reason you would need to bump it up, potentially, would be 8K. But even at that, you would need to be pushing decent FPS to max it. As much as it might say this sort of thing in the headlines, it doesn't really hold much weight. 8K gaming, proper gaming, isn't here yet. 4k IS though and 10GB is plenty. More than 10GB is aimed at productivity. The high end 6000 cards are clearly aimed at multiple sectors. No doubt we will hear all about it at the reveal. You may find that it's actually targeted at the 3090 professional market, for a cut down price (the space between the 3080 and the 3090) for less money than the 3080. I think Nvidia already sensed this coming, hence the rumours of the 20GB 3080. It's so convoluted though, much more than I think anyone actually realises.

Additionally, similar to the Zen attempts, they were first attempts at new technologies. There will always be teething issues when something revolutionary is going on.

The last attempt from team red wasn't great for stability with the driver issues etc. They are one brand that always learn from their mistakes though so I think we may be in for something special. Even if it's not this specific card range, they are back with an absolute bang and Nvidia are in for a serious run for their money going forward.

With AMD pushing Intel and Nvidia at the same time it's really exciting times. The thing is, they are doing so good overall that they will have some serious bank to simply keep their foot on the gas. It doesn't feel remotely like a one trick pony.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the detailed info of vrams.
It looks like a great year for AMD, I look forward to getting into 5900x queue. I'm sure RDNA2 announcement will have a surprise or 2 up their sleeves. As a buisiness point of view I hope RDNA can make a big impact on sales against the rtx30 series as it could help PCS alleviate some of the the 3080 wait strain and shift more desktop build to despatch. But like you said it's a new technology from RDNA to RDNA2 so they might not get everything right with drivers. But here's to hoping

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
VRAM doesn’t have any effect on speed. There’s no issue at all with the 10gb on the 3080. People assume incorrectly that as all the VRAM is allocated when you start a game that there’s not enough, the reality is that the game is only using a fraction of it, it’s just grabbed the full quota. There is no game in existence that will max out the 3080 VRAM at 4k or under.
Ok, I know I am limited in this point of view, i have a 3800XT, 32GB RAM, on a 1440p 144HZ monitor, all I can base this off is my own findings, in Shadow of the tomb raider I have not reached the 10GB VRAM, in Alien Isolation with mods or without mods I have mods that add better GFX to the game, and also more aliens in game (l like speed running it, I have played it way more times than I can remember lol, I don't have a WR so my times don't mater) it still dosen't use 10GB VRAM, with FS2020 that dosn't even use 10GB VRAM, while tools may says it's using all 10GB of VRAM, in windows task manager is shows a different number, most of ther time way less than the 10GB is can have.

Now I want to make this clear, what I say from now on may be wrong, from what I have underestood from others like, Gamers Nexus, Linus tach tips, BitWit, JayzTwoCent with VRAM being GDDR6X, again all I know from listening, I have no facts, GDDR6X is meant to be 2 times faster than GDDR6, so as a lame person, being told from Nvidia I would see GGDR6X to be 2 times faster than GGDR6, so im my eyes in bandwith, 10GB of GDDR6X. will act like 20GB of GDDR6, AGAIN I NEED TO MAKE THIS CLEAR, I am not an expert in this, But what Spyder has said seems to be true, nothing I have thrown at the 3080 has used the full 10GB ram on a 3800XT 1440p 144Hz. I hope this helps some people :)

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:

grrrrrowl

Ok, I know I am limited in this point of view, i have a 3800XT, 32GB RAM, on a 1440p 144HZ monitor, all I can base this off is my own findings, in Shadow of the tomb raider I have not reached the 10GB VRAM, in Alien Isolation with mods or without mods I have mods that add better GFX to the game, and also more aliens in game (l like speed running it, I have played it way more times than I can remember lol, I don't have a WR so my times don't mater) it still dosen't use 10GB VRAM, with FS2020 that dosn't even use 10GB VRAM, while tools may says it's using all 10GB of VRAM, in windows task manager is shows a different number, most of ther time way less than the 10GB is can have.

Now I want to make this clear, what I say from now on may be wrong, from what I have underestood from others like, Gamers Nexus, Linus tach tips, BitWit, JayzTwoCent with VRAM being GDDR6X, again all I know from listening, I have no facts, GDDR6X is meant to be 2 times faster than GDDR6, so as a lame person, being told from Nvidia I would see GGDR6X to be 2 times faster than GGDR6, so im my eyes in bandwith, 10GB of GDDR6X. will act like 20GB of GDDR6, AGAIN I NEED TO MAKE THIS CLEAR, I am not an expert in this, But what Spyder has said seems to be true, nothing I have thrown at the 3080 has used the full 10GB ram on a 3800XT 1440p 144Hz. I hope this helps some people :)

EDIT: spelling

You will never have any issues with 10GB VRAM at 1440p. This is only a potential issue at 4k and currently only few games (or modded high texture games). Whether it becomes an issue after 1 or 2 years is guesswork but for the vast majority of games (at ultra settings at 4k) it will be a non issue.

Also GDDR6X is faster, acting like 2x the amount of VRAM is a stretch though. I suspect if you needed more than the VRAM than you have you would see half the amount of stuttering than you would with GDDR6. But a massive loss of FPS would still be essentially unplayable.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I still think there may be a lot of misunderstanding going on in the VRAM front here.

The VRAM in the card is matched with the performance the card is able to produce (actual processing power). You always want the RAM to be able to perform better than the card can, but obviously within reason. I always try to explain the GPU, VRAM and gCPU as a bucket. This isn't as technically accurate as it is quite simplistic but it gives an understanding as to why the VRAM quantity doesn't really have an impact when matched to the correct resolution performance of the GPU.

The CPU feeds the GPU VRAM with data
The VRAM feeds the gCPU with the data
The gCPU uses the data to create each image and sends it to the screen

Think of it as a bucket under a tap with a hole.

The CPU is the tap
The bucket is the vRAM
the gCPU is the hole

The CPU is limited by how fast it can fill the bucket (It's coming from the HDD initially for resources that aren't in the framebuffer) so it's not likely to overflow a powerful GPU (references CPU bottleneck)
The size of the bucket is limited by the size of the vRAM (only an issue when GPU limited)
The dGPU processes the information for the monitor.

Now, that's a crazy simplistic view but having really fast vRAM is WAY more important than the quantity because as long as you can fill it and empty it REALLY fast, you shouldn't ever be limited.

The reality is that it's the game engine that allocates the space for the frame buffer (Where the actual resolution matters) and the resources, maps, textures, etc, etc, etc. The actual space on the GPU used by the video image (frame buffer) is much smaller than you would realise.

When you take away the game engine and you load in a stream of complicated mathematics for rendering..... that's where the vRAM gets eaten up VERY quickly and can substantially impact performance/stability (professional applications, not gaming).

Hobbitey

It has arrived, hard to capture on my phone but here we go

Attachments

• 20201024_133914.jpg
    20201024_133914.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 247

Hobbitey

Impressive. What’s the specs other than GPU?
I've got a ryzen 3600x, h100i,Gamerock OC 3080, 750w Corsair semi modular. 16gb 3600mhz Corsair vengeance black RGB, 1TB ADATA SSD, 2tb barracuda HD.

A bit off from my ideal spec, but I figured id take the plunge as I might regret waiting. Now just the wait for downloads!

So been in pre production for 25 working days I used to get the automated email every 5 days and then it stopped for about 2 weeks I got one this morning you reckon I should just ignore it or maybe just maybe it's time.... just find it strange how I've not had any for a free weeks then randomly get.one today

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Is it definitely an automated one? You would need to call PCS to know for sure unfortunately.