RTX 3080

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Sorry, i’m a little myth’d at this one. Assuming that there is one shift and a production coordinator is usually paid a usual Admin rate of pay. How would this inflate prices dramatically enough to cause concern to the customer?
Assume is a big word. It's quite clear that any cost increases must result either in lower profits or higher prices.

This discussion is now getting silly and is not helping anyone reading this thread.

TBH It's all moot anyway because we neither know what the situation is inside PCS, nor could we affect it even if we did.

I am quite certain that PCS are not deliberately hiding information that would be easy to distribute to all customers. Perhaps the reason they're not making more of an effort to change their reporting system is because they see the current delivery issues as a relatively short term problem?
Agreed. It’s all speculation (dreaded word on this forum). I’ve been i’ve been in manufacturing for roughly 21 years now. To be honest it wouldn’t be difficult to develop a queuing system at PCS. Maybe a potential Kaizen opportunity for them to pursue. If they use Kaizen that is 😅

grrrrrowl

The situation at OC is TERRIBLE! I'm not loyal to any company I put my money where it is best spent and that is why I have been buying from PCS since 2011 and that is mostly for pricing. Currently OC seem to be getting less stock than other companies whilst making claims of getting more, it's laughable. Not only that but they are selling 3090's at about £100 more than other places are selling the same card, essentially scalping their own customers.

It's a disgrace, you need to look into it more closely. A quick price check around the usual suspects will show it up very clearly.

yossarian01603

Hi guys, just a suggestion for people sick of waiting. I managed to get hold of a 3090 FE the other day (arriving tomorrow) by keeping up with various stock alerts through Discord. If you keep an eye on it, 3080's and 3090's are going into stock during the week all the time, you just have to be super quick. I have de-scoped the 3080 from my build and now the only thing I'm waiting for is the 5900x which according to a call yesterday with PCS should arrive at some point next week (though you might be left wanting if you are waiting on your graphics card as well!).

It's a bit of a pain having to monitor the alerts like that and rush to buy a card, but it might be a much quicker route to you getting your build.

Good luck.

The situation at OC is TERRIBLE! I'm not loyal to any company I put my money where it is best spent and that is why I have been buying from PCS since 2011 and that is mostly for pricing. Currently OC seem to be getting less stock than other companies whilst making claims of getting more, it's laughable. Not only that but they are selling 3090's at about £100 more than other places are selling the same card, essentially scalping their own customers.

It's a disgrace, you need to look into it more closely. A quick price check around the usual suspects will show it up very clearly.
As I have previously stated, I have not bought from OC so therefore i cannot comment on their customer service. However, the premise that they’re providing is not an unachievable process.

grrrrrowl

Hi guys, just a suggestion for people sick of waiting. I managed to get hold of a 3090 FE the other day (arriving tomorrow) by keeping up with various stock alerts through Discord. If you keep an eye on it, 3080's and 3090's are going into stock during the week all the time, you just have to be super quick. I have de-scoped the 3080 from my build and now the only thing I'm waiting for is the 5900x which according to a call yesterday with PCS should arrive at some point next week (though you might be left wanting if you are waiting on your graphics card as well!).

It's a bit of a pain having to monitor the alerts like that and rush to buy a card, but it might be a much quicker route to you getting your build.

Good luck.

If you want a 3090 they are readily available at quite a few retailers. Still above MSRP (but still better than eBay) and the tippy top models not available but you could have one in your hands tomorrow.

grrrrrowl

As I have previously stated, I have not bought from OC so therefore i cannot comment on their customer service. However, the premise that they’re providing is not an unachievable process.

You want to follow it closer then because the talk on their forums is that their process is horrible. I can go into it more deeply if you're really interested.

yossarian01603

If you want a 3090 they are readily available at quite a few retailers. Still above MSRP (but still better than eBay) and the tippy top models not available but you could have one in your hands tomorrow.
They were actually still pretty hard to get hold of to be honest, even with the price hike. Luckily as I got an FE I paid MSRP (still a rip-off though, lets be honest).

But my point was more around the 3080, those are coming into stock frequently at multiple retailers, you just need to be super quick- have your account ready, your address and card details plugged in and ready to click the link when the stock alert comes through.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'll take it to the rest of the team but I don't think personally it's a good idea. It's just going to look like a mud-slinging contest between the forums.

Happy for you to share what you have learned via PM of course as there may be people genuinely interested in the direct comparisons, but to publicly air another companies dirty laundry isn't right to me.

steaky360

I'll take it to the rest of the team but I don't think personally it's a good idea. It's just going to look like a mud-slinging contest between the forums.

Happy for you to share what you have learned via PM of course as there may be people genuinely interested in the direct comparisons, but to publicly air another companies dirty laundry isn't right to me.
Fully agree, there's no need to link it here. It ultimately doesn't matter whats happening on other forums, we're not here to 'stir the pot'.

Appreciate the comments were coming from a good place (so to speak) but anyone who really wants to go read up on the goss can do so via google in my opinion :)

Fully agree, there's no need to link it here. It ultimately doesn't matter whats happening on other forums, we're not here to 'stir the pot'.

Appreciate the comments were coming from a good place (so to speak) but anyone who really wants to go read up on the goss can do so via google in my opinion :)
It appears that what i’ve said originally has been taken out of context really. The main point I was getting at is not really OC vs PCS. But more towards what PCS could be doing better. But, if i was to be hyper critical of myself. I would say i’m being a sofa observer from another business. We manufacture car seats on a mass level in a JiT environment with a FiFo policy. For my business, it is policy to notify the customer of any delays. We also have a system which shows the queue of which the seat is in. Also you are able to track exactly where the seat is in the production chain, i.e, Quality control, Production line, warehouse. These ideas were all brought to light via Kaizen process building exercises. In order to develop we had to look at where our customers were finding issues and develop the processes. I’m not sure how successful this would be in a small to medium business environment but you don’t know without trying.

We are also able to predict stock shortages through our materials team and pre-emptively order the materials before the event of build occurs. This helps to maintain a FiFo environment and keep the customer happy.

It is extremely unlikely that every customer doesn’t expect a stock shortage in their orders at some point, however it is how much the company is willing to share in order to allow ease of mind during that journey.

That being said, I have no issues with PCS’s quality/craftsmanship. And I hope they endeavour to do well in the future.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It appears that what i’ve said originally has been taken out of context really. The main point I was getting at is not really OC vs PCS. But more towards what PCS could be doing better. But, if i was to be hyper critical of myself. I would say i’m being a sofa observer from another business. We manufacture car seats on a mass level in a JiT environment with a FiFo policy. For my business, it is policy to notify the customer of any delays. We also have a system which shows the queue of which the seat is in. Also you are able to track exactly where the seat is in the production chain, i.e, Quality control, Production line, warehouse. These ideas were all brought to light via Kaizen process building exercises. In order to develop we had to look at where our customers were finding issues and develop the processes. I’m not sure how successful this would be in a small to medium business environment but you don’t know without trying.

We are also able to predict stock shortages through our materials team and pre-emptively order the materials before the event of build occurs. This helps to main a FiFo environment and keep the customer happy.

It is extremely unlikely that every customer doesn’t expect a stock shortage in their orders at some point, however it is how much the company is willing to share in order to allow ease of mind during that journey.

That being said, I have no issues with PCS’s quality/craftsmanship. And I hope they endeavour to do well in the future.
I would suggest that all those who think that PCS could be providing more information contact PCS directly. An email or snail mail will be the best way I'd think? PCS staff rarely visit these fora so they're not likely to see these kinds of suggestions.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

We are also able to predict stock shortages through our materials team and pre-emptively order the materials before the event of build occurs. This helps to main a FiFo environment and keep the customer happy.

I do totally understand where you are coming from. I think your angle needs a slight calibration though as my guess is that your car seats are made to a certain criteria and consistency.

These are custom PCs unfortunately. That's what completely muddies the water. Each system can, and mostly will, be completely unique in component choice. There are literally 1000000s of variables to consider. One part shortage does cause concern and will lead the queues, regardless of that part, but your placement in the build queue will also inevitably fluctuate based on other areas of the build that aren't the same as the ones surrounding it in the queue.

Imagine the seats that you make were made of a combination of 100 parts from a selection choice of 1000 parts and every one was unique. The direct line of manufacture would no longer apply for the queue as the supply queue is completely different for each part.

I also work in a JIT manufacturing environment without the complexity of PCS. Our business is complex enough with the variability that we have.... and even with that in mind it's never plain sailing. Take every single complexity that you can imagine and then add customisation to each order to that complexity. It's astronomical and ends up with, what I believe, is an equation that cannot be accurately solved.

I would suggest that all those who think that PCS could be providing more information contact PCS directly. An email or snail mail will be the best way I'd think? PCS staff rarely visit these fora so they're not likely to see these kinds of suggestions.
Hey, i’m all for business development but unfortunately i’m paid to think about my business not theres. I’m sure there are plenty of people currently working on processes over at PCS currently and i don’t think they need my help. I don’t mind discussing this on Forums because this is a simplified format. To go into detail and send an email i haven’t the time.

thank you for the option though.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey, i’m all for business development but unfortunately i’m paid to think about my business not theres. I’m sure there are plenty of people currently working on processes over at PCS currently and i don’t think they need my help. I don’t mind discussing this on Forums because this is a simplified format. To go into detail and send an email i haven’t the time.

thank you for the option though.
Well that's ok but (with the greatest of respect) it just means you're whingeing on here. Unless people are prepared to take their complaints and suggestions for improvement directly to PCS it's just so much hot air.

I do totally understand where you are coming from. I think your angle needs a slight calibration though as my guess is that your car seats are made to a certain criteria and consistency.

These are custom PCs unfortunately. That's what completely muddies the water. Each system can, and mostly will, be completely unique in component choice. There are literally 1000000s of variables to consider. One part shortage does cause concern and will lead the queues, regardless of that part, but your placement in the build queue will also inevitably fluctuate based on other areas of the build that aren't the same as the ones surrounding it in the queue.

Imagine the seats that you make were made of a combination of 100 parts from a selection choice of 1000 parts and every one was unique. The direct line of manufacture would no longer apply for the queue as the supply queue is completely different for each part.

I also work in a JIT manufacturing environment without the complexity of PCS. Our business is complex enough with the variability that we have.... and even with that in mind it's never plain sailing. Take every single complexity that you can imagine and then add customisation to each order to that complexity. It's astronomical and ends up with, what I believe, is an equation that cannot be accurately solved.
I love it! Finally some insight!

I agree with you also. Believe it or not we are a bespoke seat manufacturer as well. Unfortunately, I cannot give you name of the company without impeding my own safety. But the scale should give you an idea of how big we really are. On our site currently we employ 4000 associates across 3 single shifts. By associates I mean operators.

We have a Bespoke department which is split into 3 other sub department levels. These departments handle nearly 17000 unique part levels a year. And normally they won’t touch the same part twice 😧. According to the BOM analyst on site the procurement of parts is purely down to the specification of the customer, which means versatility is key. We understand that at the level of bespoke or unique parts used it is imperative that we give accurate build data and build times to the customer. The affluent market we target is probably the same market that PCS sell their pc’s at the £5000 market.

Parts and build processes can always be refined based upon doing simple 5Y exercises to eliminate any waste or complications.

Maybe this is something that PCS are currently doing.

Well that's ok but (with the greatest of respect) it just means you're whingeing on here. Unless people are prepared to take their complaints and suggestions for improvement directly to PCS it's just so much hot air.
No offence, I believe forums are a place for discussion. And I have gave my constructive feedback on the situation without offending the company or other buyers. Using the word “whinging” to a person who has paid money to a company who you moderate a forum for is not exactly respectful. Even if you have no ill-intent. Call it a learning curve for you.