RTX 3080

BetFin

Bronze Level Poster

Thoughts on this one for a 3080 to start with. Have been 1080p 60HZ for my entire PC gaming experience and want to start with 1440p 144hz (And higher) but want to get a semi cheap monitor before saving up for the more expensive "Better" monitors. Not really too into the Spec side would 5MS be slow for FPS games?

Can anyone recommend a decent 1440p 144hx or higher monitor to start with at a decent price?

Thanks
I ordered the

Gigabyte 27" G27Q 144Hz Freesync Premium IPS Monitor​

today from team blue, due to be shipped out. 27" which is perfect for my dual set up, the other monitor is 27" too, 1ms so low latency, 144hz for refresh and 1440p.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, I will take a look. I already have 2 27" so making the 3rd 27" would make sense The one I found was suggested by a friend of mine but as I don't really know about monitors other than the Refresh and Resolution is all new information 😂
There's zero point getting a 3080 if you're going to pair it with a 1440p screen, waste of money, the card will be bottlenecked most of the time.

BetFin

Bronze Level Poster
There's zero point getting a 3080 if you're going to pair it with a 1440p screen, waste of money, the card will be bottlenecked most of the time.
I'm waiting for 4k monitors to be a bit less ridiculous personally, having a 3080 means I can upgrade my monitor in 2-3 years - once I can get one with 1ms, 144hz for under £500 it'd tempt me a bit more but at £1000 to get the other stuff I need I cannot justify it

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm waiting for 4k monitors to be a bit less ridiculous personally, having a 3080 means I can upgrade my monitor in 2-3 years - once I can get one with 1ms, 144hz for under £500 it'd tempt me a bit more but at £1000 to get the other stuff I need I cannot justify it

Why go with the 3080 then? Just save the money, go with the 3070 and then in a few years get the monitor and the latest GPU offering. There's no way the 3080 is going to be relevant at 4k in 3 years.

BetFin

Bronze Level Poster
Why go with the 3080 then? Just save the money, go with the 3070 and then in a few years get the monitor and the latest GPU offering. There's no way the 3080 is going to be relevant at 4k in 3 years.
it would end up costing more than picking the 3080 now - I'm not planning on upgrading the pc at all for at least 6 years, I'm going longer term with my build than what I need

BetFin

Bronze Level Poster
it would end up costing more than picking the 3080 now - I'm not planning on upgrading the pc at all for at least 6 years, I'm going longer term with my build than what I need
Sorry, I mean to get a 4k monitor and a 3080 in 3 years time than replacing one shoddy monitor with a much better monitor right now for £300 - my best monitor is 1080p 60hz so it'll all still be a massive upgrade right now, then an upgrade again in 2-3 years, even if the gpu isn't top of the line by then

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

That's a false economy but it's something that many people believe to be the case. With a 1440p monitor I would personally be buying a 3060Ti. In 3 years I would then buy the next gen 4060ti/5060ti (or whatever). This will cost very similar money with the second offering likely completely blowing the 3080 out of the water.

Look at my system for example. I bought a 2080 last year and it's being absolutely toasted by the 3060Ti..... I was almost £800 for that card and a £400 card is making it look silly a year later.

That's all I'll say on it though, it feels futile at times.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Sorry, I mean to get a 4k monitor and a 3080 in 3 years time than replacing one shoddy monitor with a much better monitor right now for £300 - my best monitor is 1080p 60hz so it'll all still be a massive upgrade right now, then an upgrade again in 2-3 years, even if the gpu isn't top of the line by then

A 1080p 60hz monitor wants a 1660 Super, not a 3080 :ROFLMAO:

It's just false logic but if you've got the money and the patience then I guess Nvidia will thank you :)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you are recommending a 4K monitor to go with it now why would it not be relevant in 3 years?

It's a subject that's been done to death.

If you read my post above yours I think I've covered the logic. If not, there's not much else I can say. People either understand it.... or they don't.

BetFin

Bronze Level Poster
A 1080p 60hz monitor wants a 1660 Super, not a 3080 :ROFLMAO:

It's just false logic but if you've got the money and the patience then I guess Nvidia will thank you :)
My current GPU is a 970, the monitor I'm ordering for my 3080 is 1440p 144hz
Honestly if I hadn't done it through finance I would have switched to the 6800XT, it's meant to be better for 1440p, but I'm stuck with my choice now

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Again, it's like beating my head against a wall.

4k - 3080 £800
1440p Extreme or 1440p Ultrawide- 3070 £550
1440p 144hz (normal use) - 3060Ti £400

There are reasons to look outwith the above, but the people that tend to work outwith those standards know the reason why. And it's not "future proofing".

You can buy 2 1440p level cards for the price of the 4k card. If you're not "doing" 4k now, put the £400 in your pocket and buy a GPU to suit when you buy the monitor to suit.

My point is that in 3 years, the next generation £400 GPU will be MORE powerful than the 3080. So you get 1 card that covers your uses now and another card in 2-3 years when you upgrade the monitor..... all for exactly the same price as a 3080.... only it'll be more powerful and make more sense.

My 2080 does fine for 4k just now, at 60hz. The fact that a £400 card can do it better shows how much of a waste of money the 2080 would be for 1080p....... think about it. Apply the same logic to the 2080 6 months ago. Is it still able to handle 4k? Yes.... will it be able to in 4 years, with everything turned down.... yes. Was it a good purchase for 1080p 60hz???? God no, not even a good purchase for 1440p. I bought it for VR so my purchase is somewhat justified, but I DO have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth to be honest.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Well like I said I plan on getting a high-end 4K within the next 3-5 months so I'm getting a 1440p 144hz to take over from a 1080p until that time. Yes, it may not be the right type of monitor for the Card but it's gonna be fine for the time being.

Would you recommend any good 4K monitors to look at?
3080Ti will be out by then ;)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This is why I genuinely wouldn't recommend 4k at the moment. It's not worth it. The 3080 is a waste for 1440p as well. I rarely recommend the 3080 in builds. It's saved for serious budgets where the customers are looking to drop £1k on a monitor. Otherwise, it's just a serious waste of money.

People read too much into benchmarks where reviewers torture test the new cards to their limits and thus hold their own systems to the same standard. That's just not how it works. 1440p wants the new 3060Ti for most users. You would save yourself an absolute packet.

BetFin

Bronze Level Poster
This is why I genuinely wouldn't recommend 4k at the moment. It's not worth it. The 3080 is a waste for 1440p as well. I rarely recommend the 3080 in builds. It's saved for serious budgets where the customers are looking to drop £1k on a monitor. Otherwise, it's just a serious waste of money.

People read too much into benchmarks where reviewers torture test the new cards to their limits and thus hold their own systems to the same standard. That's just not how it works. 1440p wants the new 3060Ti for most users. You would save yourself an absolute packet.
Absolutely, the fact that there's one for £750 gives me hope for a solid 4k monitor in a year or so within the budget

kozuki

Enthusiast
My 24th September order with a 3080 Strix went into testing yesterday (liquid series, so its taking longer for tests) Hopefully all is going well but I'm not getting excited until its in the building, my building:giggle:

Would think the Strix queue is shorter than the others so perhaps your build date wont be that far off.
I would like to think so, getting this before christmas would be awesome, so I would be happy even if it got to early-mid december for the build stage. I will hit 33 working days on 27th, when the email states the build date, though I'd think at least another week is in there. Unless they really got a big shipment of strix 3080s and 5900X, but nobody knows if that's a possible scenario

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
4k monitors are starting to come down in price, the XG27UQ got a mention in this thread a page or so back which is what I've got - I've seen Currys/PC World & Scan list it at £800, while the usual RRP is £950. That LG monitor that's also been mentioned is pretty good.

The Eve Spectrum 4k model is due for release in February, and while I don't know about the price, that's potentially going to be competitive, although given it's one of the first monitors with a HDMI 2.1, they could keep that at a premium price as it'll be a must-have for those wanting a monitor for both PC and console gaming. Exciting times ahead!

AaranmMc

4k monitors are starting to come down in price, the XG27UQ got a mention in this thread a page or so back which is what I've got - I've seen Currys/PC World & Scan list it at £800, while the usual RRP is £950. That LG monitor that's also been mentioned is pretty good.

The Eve Spectrum 4k model is due for release in February, and while I don't know about the price, that's potentially going to be competitive, although given it's one of the first monitors with a HDMI 2.1, they could keep that at a premium price as it'll be a must-have for those wanting a monitor for both PC and console gaming. Exciting times ahead!
Beware Eve Spectrum, they are apparently shady as heck. I've read on reddit people aren't able to get refunds for their pre orders, and the fact they say if you pay full price for their monitor right now you may not get it at the same price once released. So essentially, pay now or they will increase the price once they are released.

AlbiGd

4k gaming unless you keep upgrading it's not feasible (at 60fps or above) in the longer term, but i'd say that 4k monitors are an investment for the future.