RTX 3080

AlbiGd

the people who think 1080p is still relevant, haven't seen a bigger resolution to compare it with :) it's day and night when you see it with your own eyes, like I have a setup with ultrawide 1440p + 2x 1080p, when you drag a 1080p window into the ultrawide, you see how little it actually is
What i'm saying is that 1080p (even 1440p) on a 4k monitor looks way worse than on a monitor with that as the native resolution. If you want to play at 1080p you should have a 1080p monitor ecc...

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Questions about PSU. I ordered the "CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET" As when I originally selected a higher PSU a popup from PCS said that it only needs a 750W and not to waste money on a higher one. Nvidia has also said they recommend a 750W power supply. Just want to make sure the one I have selected will be good enough for the 3080 with an i9 9900k or would you recommend upgrading?
You’d want the 750w RMx as an ideal minimum, it’s a higher quality unit than the TXm variant. An 850w is the general recommendation round here to give you a bit of headroom for future upgrades, just in case the next generation of GPUs are as power hungry as these.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Questions about PSU. I ordered the "CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET" As when I originally selected a higher PSU a popup from PCS said that it only needs a 750W and not to waste money on a higher one. Nvidia has also said they recommend a 750W power supply. Just want to make sure the one I have selected will be good enough for the 3080 with an i9 9900k or would you recommend upgrading?
I would get a minimum of 850W but WHY OH WHY are you going intel????? My god type person in heaven!!! Have we not educated the masses????

We have failed!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have never had AMD and know nothing really about it. Everyone I know has always been Intel and many of my friends have the i9 9900k which is why I selected it.
Why do people say this as if it means it’s a different computer in some way? You wouldn’t know it was an AMD or Intel processor, the computer works exactly the same, doesn’t change anything other than you get about double the performance for the same money and far more security.

The 9900k is now a 6 year old architecture, you’re literally paying through the nose for a completely redundant platform.

It’s your money I guess and I’m sure you’ll say because you’re so close to building it’s not worth cancelling but believe me it is, this is a 7 - 10 year investment you’re making of done correctly.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Would the Corsair 850W RM series Modular 80 plus Gold be good? The RMX series is not available
I wouldn’t want an RM, personally. The RMx is the updated version and is much improved. I’d probably go a further step up and get an AX.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I understand that having AMD would be the same and I am not against AMD in any way. What I mean was the naming conventions and progression of the CPUs for AMD was what I did not know. I'm Sure it's similar to Intels but was not something I looked into. I understand that the I9 9900k is an old CPU but for the price, I paid if I went with say the Ryzen 9 3900x which online claims to be the equivalent (Don't hold me to that just what google says xD) I would still end up paying more for a CPU that is classed as equivalent. If I went with any newer AMD cpu it would cost me a lot more which I did not have enough for. I was over my budget when I ordered the Intel so I could not really go for anything higher even if I went AMD.
None of that is really relevant though, that's why you get advice, let people who understand it build something more suitable.

It's your money, but I guarantee, in a year when you find your system crawling due to security mitigations rolled out in Windows and BIOS, and the fact you're unable to upgrade it at all, you'll be very annoyed.

it's a complete waste of money.

Even a 5600x would walk all over that CPU in every metric.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Going for the AX would be a costly upgrade from what I have remaining. I could go for the 1000W RMX which would be cheaper. WOuld you recommend that?
E9A1A70D-91A1-4BF4-B962-7B2E83A7543E.jpeg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well like you said it's been ordered now and I really don't want to cancel it and start all over. I may have screwed myself over and cost myself some extra money if I decide to change to AMD in a few years time but that is for future me to worry about xD

I'm still happy with my choice as its what I have experience with but thanks for letting me know your opinion :)
Just for anyone else reading this, please please please get advice. And if you find yourself saying pretty much exactly what is said above then please think that you’re ordering an expensive piece of equipment that SHOULD last 7 - 10 years if configured correctly, rather than 1 or 2 years before you get the itch to upgrade because all your friends who bought the same cpu likely when it was released and relevant are upgrading to something more appropriate.

Don't let impatience determine the next 10 years of your life for the sake of 30 days.

Voeille

Bronze Level Poster
Just for anyone else reading this, please please please get advice. And if you find yourself saying pretty much exactly what is said above then please think that you’re ordering an expensive piece of equipment that SHOULD last 7 - 10 years if configured correctly, rather than 1 or 2 years before you get the itch to upgrade because all your friends who bought the same cpu likely when it was released and relevant are upgrading to something more appropriate.

Don't let impatience determine the next 10 years of your life for the sake of 30 days.
And the waiting time might not even change, I asked PCS to change from Intel to AMD after almost a month of being in pre-production (not the best time to ask for advice but later is better than never!), and that didn't influence my waiting time because of the 3080.

It may depend on your payment method though, they might not be able to do it if you paid through finance (I used a debit card), but it's worth asking. My initial choice was i9-10900X, then I changed to Ryzen 9 3950X via suport, and later to 5950X when it came out.

I just changed my i9 9900k to amd 5900x, do they get the new amd cpu more often than the 30series gpus? Wondering how long will it take for me now.. that im only waiting for the cpu cause i already have a gpu.
been on 42 days pre production i dont mind waiting.. as long as i get it before cyberpunk 🙁

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
Whole thread dedicated to the 3080 here:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Whole thread dedicated to the 3080 here:

Good call, I've asked the mods to merge this thread with the main one (y)