RTX 40 SERIES IS HERE!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've been in two minds weather or not to post this as don't want to cause any unnecessary concern but think it's important people are aware. Please bear in mind these are early reports, manufacturers like Corsair (that PCS tend to stock PSU's of) are notorious for quickly supplying updated standards to existing customers should any recall occur. It's currently not clear if this is only affecting the CABLEMOD brand, or if this is the socket design in general (from what I'm seeing, it does appear it may be the port design itself now that it's downsized the watts all running through 6 PINs rather than the older design (4 x 8 PIN) having 9 PINs for the same 600W load

bequiet-12vhpwr-00.jpg

The new 12VHPWR socket on RTX4000 series GPU's appears to be a little lacking and possibly causing issues when it comes to bending the cable at the juncture before it's inserted to the card.

TLDR, it may be causing some pretty serious problems like below

maxresdefault.jpg

eef7e2a2e24225bd3a0e83ca47432483_XL.jpg

This is the specific advice on this from CABLEMOD

Screenshot 2022-10-24 143631.png

SimonPeters116

Enthusiast
I'm wondering if anyone will start making a short extension power cable, pre bent, or with a 90 degree plug on it. With the 4090 being quite a wide gpu, and the power socket being on the outside edge, pointing straight out, this seems like an accident waiting to happen.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I'm wondering if anyone will start making a short extension power cable, pre bent, or with a 90 degree plug on it. With the 4090 being quite a wide gpu, and the power socket being on the outside edge, pointing straight out, this seems like an accident waiting to happen.
Kudos! Sound and appropriate thinking there, some of the sleeved cables out there have rigidity akin to a trifecta of diamond coated triangles.

That being said, this is the internet and sound reasoning isn’t always your best bet. Can I suggest putting your underpants on your head and sticking two pencils up your nose as a best case scenario for moving your idea along?

5223D950-B486-41C1-A7FC-D967FB067462.gif

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
This really isn't good news at all. I don't think there's going to be any simple or quick fix unfortunately.

The absolute best case scenario would be an extension that fixed the issue.... unfortunately my guess is that would just create more points of failure.

Perfect supply cable meeting imperfect extension and then frying would be down to the imperfect extension.........
Imperfect supply cable meeting perfect extension and then frying would be down to the imperfect supply cable......

Unfortunately they don't come labelled as such.

It's like the anti-lightening Maltesers I used to sell as a kid. Not one person who ate them ever got struck by lightening.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Kudos! Sound and appropriate thinking there, some of the sleeved cables out there have rigidity akin to a trifecta of diamond coated triangles.

That being said, this is the internet and sound reasoning isn’t always your best bet. Can I suggest putting your underpants on your head and sticking two pencils up your nose as a best case scenario for moving your idea along?

Wibble.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That is what cablemod are working on actually, we'll see how other manufacturers follow

MrWilson

Godlike
Now that the 4080 is available on the configurator, it's the right time to share some third party reviews.

In terms of availability the 4080 can be had on PCS for £1329 at time of writing. This is highly competitive with the current market which is always good to see, other options are looking around £1400+.
Obviously this is still a very expensive GPU and will be out of a lot of people's budget, but for those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford one it is currently unrivalled on the market, and offers similar cost per frame to the 4090 at 4K (and it would be frankly absurd to game at anything other than 4k or 1440p Superwide with a GPU like this.)
However, if you're willing to hold off AMD's flagship GPUs are releasing in December, which will mean they will most likely come too late for pre-Christmas arrivals, but the leaks and first party benchmarks look very promising, and if supply remains decent, they should offer a cheaper alternative for top end gaming, or force Nvidia to cut their pricing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Some further news on the RTX4090 connector melting issues, by Gamers Nexus having done about 2 weeks of intensive testing. This is far better research from professionals and feels far more conclusive.

TLDR, it appears the scenario that can replicate the burning is when the connector is not fully inserted, possibly complicated by a design flaw of the connector itself not latching sufficiently and needing unreasonable force to push it fully home, but at the end of the day, so long as it's fully connected, and there's no excessive pressure then pulling it out of it's connection by bending cables when cable routing, you should be good.

But as of now, to give some perspective on numbers of people affected, so far there have been 50 reported cases in the wild, so it is affecting a very small subset, failure rate of 0.04%.

BUT, there is a class action lawsuit against NVidia for this issue already.

Last edited: