Ryzen 5900X Price

grrrrrowl

Just having a browse and noticed that the 5900X is now priced higher than the 5950X.... surely that's a mistake?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I doubt these prices are adjusted by a human, I'd expect them to be based on supply and demand and adjusted automatically. The current uncertainty over deliveries of some components and PCS's reliance on JIT probably accounts for this....?

Lukemondo

Gold Level Poster
I have no clue but obviously it doesn't make sense to put that in your build at that price.
That’s the point of this system though, is that it will encourage people to go for the 5950x which seems to be in less demand then the 5900x

grrrrrowl

It's more about if you have no idea what pricing should be. I can imagine there will be lots of people that have no idea it is over £200 overpriced.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's more about if you have no idea what pricing should be. I can imagine there will be lots of people that have no idea it is over £200 overpriced.
TBH buying a PC is like buying anything - if the price you're asked to pay is acceptable to you then all is well.

My first wife would trapse round the shops looking for the best deal, then she'd buy it, then she'd trapse round the shops again just to make sure she got the best deal. I never understood it....

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you think pricing the 5900X above the 5950X is not an issue then we'll have to agree to disagree
Well as we've pointed out, it's either simple supply and demand or an attempt to dissuade people from buying the 5900X. If somebody wants to pay the asking price of the 5900X then that's their business.

grrrrrowl

I just don't think it's ok to slap on that kind of margin in a way which is very hard to see exactly which part you are being gouged on.

Like I said, agree to disagree. If you know what you're looking at it's fine, if not then who cares, it's their business.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just don't think it's ok to slap on that kind of margin in a way which is very hard to see exactly which part you are being gouged on.

Like I said, agree to disagree. If you know what you're looking at it's fine, if not then who cares, it's their business.
Price isn't set by them, it's what they're able to get it in for.

When demand outstrips supply, supply costs go through the roof. That's capitalism for you.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I have no clue but obviously it doesn't make sense to put that in your build at that price.
Like it doesn.t make sense for folk to splash out another £600 to put a 3090 in their system instead of the 3080 they originally ordered just to get it quicker..........but they still do it

grrrrrowl

Like it doesn.t make sense for folk to splash out another £600 to put a 3090 in their system instead of the 3080 they originally ordered just to get it quicker..........but they still do it
I don't see how that has anything to do with what we're talking about

steaky360

Interestingly the 3950x is also more expensive in builds currently than the 5950x - I guess its just the current asking price for those CPUs. Ultimately no one here knows anymore than you about it though.

Whilst as an extreme example, the GPU argument could be used as a discussion point, its simply not the same thing - the initial price difference between the 5900x and 5950x (currently looks to be £9 more for the 5900x than the 5950x) was no where near the price difference between the 3080 and 3090 (£600 ish) so the suggestion is a bit facile in my opinion.

I very much doubt PCS have artificially inflated the price to reduce demand themselves there's no point in them doing this, they would just make it temporarily out of stock...

I agree with @SpyderTracks and expect its some kind of average price from all of their suppliers and that its this initial per unit purchase price that has increased, this cost is reflected on the configurator, you'll note the prices of builds change fairly regularly (not uncommon to change from one week to the next) depending on availability and price of the components.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The 3080 in terms of availability is like a 5900X, 3090 is 5950X.

By your logic, pricing a 3080 above a 3090 makes sense. That's capitalism.
What I’m saying is, because of short supply the 5900x is priced extremely high at the moment by the suppliers.

5950x is much easier to get hold of so suppliers have it priced normally.

It’s basic supply and demand which is the cornerstone of capitalism:

grrrrrowl

What I’m saying is, because of short supply the 5900x is priced extremely high at the moment by the suppliers.

5950x is much easier to get hold of so suppliers have it priced normally.

It’s basic supply and demand which is the cornerstone of capitalism:
Thanks for the basics of capitalism. Does that not apply to the 3080 then which has been in short supply for longer?