Safe for desktop.

nhornby51743

Gold Level Poster
Hi, bit of a weird one.

I'm no longer able to keep my pc tower on my desk so I've had to place it elsewhere. I've put the tower next to my desk on the floor. I've just disassembled an old bed and placed the tower on one of the parts( a wooden panel covered in faux leather). Would it be safe to keep on this as i don't want to sit my computer directly on the carpet.

It may seem like an odd makeshift stand but it fits perfectly and saves me buying an alternative.

Many Thanks, Nick :)

Last edited:

nhornby51743

Gold Level Poster
Hi,

I think you may have misinterpreted what I was asking. I did it on a phone so it probably hasn't be phrased the best.....

I'm essentially wanting to know if my desktop will be okay to sit on a piece of wood covered with faux leather(part of old bed) or would it risk overheating or other issues?

Many Thanks, Nick :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I think you may have misinterpreted what I was asking. I did it on a phone so it probably hasn't be phrased the best.....

I'm essentially wanting to know if my desktop will be okay to sit on a piece of wood covered with faux leather(part of old bed) or would it risk overheating or other issues?

Personally I don't see any issue with that at all, seems like a good option. So long as the exhaust grills have some free space so the air can circulate ok, there shouldn't be an issue. Underside shouldn't get hot.

steaky360

I guess the question I'd ask is if any of the vents etc. on the case were covered by the wood (blocked is probably a better word). I keep my PC on the floor and its totally fine (do have to clean the bottom vents more regularly but its ok none the less).

nhornby51743

Gold Level Poster
No, the covered wood just sits only on the underside of the tower and doesn't block any vents. I've got about a 15 inches clearance at the back and about 8 inches clearance at the front and plenty of clearance from above.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
As long as the bottom doesn't get hot and cause a fire risk (wood and faux leather probably burn very nicely) I don't see a problem. That would be my main concern.

A desktop stand is a really good idea, getting it off the carpet gets it away from a major source of dust and grit. I suspect you'll find it needs cleaning inside less often now.