Safe GPU Temperatures

I have a 6990M and installed MSI Afterburner recently to see how hot it was running. In Far Cry 3 it seems to run in the mid-90's. Are these temperatures normal? What are the tolerances on these cards?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Mine usually runs at about 92-93 average and I've looked at a few websites and that is an acceptable running temperature for that card but there isn't really a lot of information about it. I've seen it as high as 97 at points.

That said i am onto my second GPU after the first one broke but new one seems to be running about the same.

If your worried i would call PCS as i wouldn't like to make an official comment and be wrong.

Sorry i cant be more help.

PS How is Farcry 3 running? was thinking about getting that. You have the Vortex 2?

Yes, I have Vortex 2. Far Cry 3 is great with the 6990M. All settings on high, some on very high and I get a steady 30fps with V-sync and 2xMSAA. Not the kind of game I normally play, but visually, it is stunning. This is also my second GPU. Since recent replacement it runs at mid-90s. So, I guess it must be normal.

kylhan

Silver Level Poster
Hi, I have the 7970m and mine usually runs in the Mid to high 80's. I would be concerned if it got any hotter than this. I'm sure it'll be fine, but pop onto the official site and check to make sure. BTW FarCry 3 is amazing, loving it :)

Krayzi3Bon3

I have a Vortex III Elite, and in Crossfire I don't get more than 75, normally steady around 70. I admit I do own and use an Antec Notebook Cooler 200 (Big Boy Fan). The only game in which it reached 80 degrees is Medal of Honor Warfighter but that is one horribly optimized game in my opinion and from what I've read around. Finished Far Cry 3 with everything on High-Very High, crossfire enabled.
So the conclusion would be, in my opinion, that those temps you are getting are too high, especially since crossfire tends to heat up the GPU's a lot more. You maybe should consider buying a laptop cooler.