Salvaging old HDD

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
So I want to take my old hard drive out of my old PC and stick it in my new one.

How on earth do I go about doing that?

Also, side note, kinda bummed I got the GTX 690 and then a few months later the Titan comes out. Sigh... I suppose that's how it is these days...

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
you can either go the external route, and have it as an external drive, which would be good for a backup drive, for that you would need an external casing that allows you to connect to USB (or eSATA if you have one)

or you can use it as another internal drive, just put it into one of the bays, and then connect a SATA cable and power cable, you can still use this for backups as well

GTX 690 is still more powerful than the Titan and I think it is also cheaper

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
I'm thinking of just sticking it in one of the bays. If I remember rightly there's something about slave and master drives?! Do I need to change anything on it before I switch it on??

And oh really? I just assumed that because the Titan was newer and more expensive it would be better???

Thanks

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
SATA drives don't have master/slave settings,so you can just install it and windows should recognise it.If your old drive is IDE probably best get the appropriate external USB caddy as it's doubtful your motherboard will have an IDE port.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I'm thinking of just sticking it in one of the bays. If I remember rightly there's something about slave and master drives?! Do I need to change anything on it before I switch it on??

And oh really? I just assumed that because the Titan was newer and more expensive it would be better???

Thanks

The Titan is the most powerful single GPU, where as the GTX 690 is essentially two GTX680s in a single case

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Well, that went better than expected! It's quite fiddly. I had to remove the graphics card in order to connect the SATA cable to the motherboard - and even then my fat fingers didn't help things (I'm not fat ok, please don't create this mental image of me and forever associate it to my forum profile) haha (not that there's anything wrong with being fat, it's a lifestyle choice? Wow I'm digging a hole here...) ANYWAY, at first it wasn't clear where I had to connect it as the other drives seemed to have filled up all the spots - then I realised the ports were kinda stacked on top of each other... then when I went to put it back together I saw a big cable had come loose and I had no idea where it had come from - but then I found it and all was good.

Long story short... IT WORKS :D

Thanks...

Last edited:

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
The Titan is the most powerful single GPU, where as the GTX 690 is essentially two GTX680s in a single case

Ahh that makes more sense. You'd think I'd have known all this before I clicked buy. I'm a bit of a novice but I'm steadily learning more and more...

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Ok guys, NEW PROBLEM!

I'd actually created a dual boot on my old drive (one which booted into Linux and one which booted into windows). When I switched my old pc on it used to ask which one you wanted to boot into. I didn't think this would be a problem, but I just connected it up to my new pc and it's only blooming asking which one to boot into, completely ignoring windows 8. How can I stop this??

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Right. I've mashed F8 on startup and managed to bring up the boot menu, so I've selected the HDD with W8 installed. Surely this is just a case of boot order?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Sorry for all the updates...

I've managed to remove all the stuff I wanted to keep from the HDD, then formatted it and removed the partition. That should be problem solved I guess. Just one question - what is the "Healthy (Recovery Partition)" that has 15GB allocated?