Samsung 990 Pro and 980 SSDs failing fast **Firmware fix available**

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just had a read around and found this:

Seems there's an update through the Magician software. Personally, if I had one of those drives, I'd be checking the SMART data to see what my health was like. If it wasn't where I expected, I would RMA it as according to that article the life is lost.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Does that apply to the 990 too or is that just the 980?
Good spot! Updated with correct link, not sure if techradar has mistaken the model or there's a separate issue on 980 Pros but everyone else is reporting on the 990 pros

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just had a read around and found this:

Seems there's an update through the Magician software. Personally, if I had one of those drives, I'd be checking the SMART data to see what my health was like. If it wasn't where I expected, I would RMA it as according to that article the life is lost.
From what I'm seeing, the firmware update only halts rapid deterioration, doesn't reset the clocks as such, so if your drive is affected I'd still be looking for a warranty replacement.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
From what I'm seeing, the firmware update only halts rapid deterioration, doesn't reset the clocks as such, so if your drive is affected I'd still be looking for a warranty replacement.

Yeah that's my understanding too.

Good spot! Updated with correct link, not sure if techradar has mistaken the model or there's a separate issue on 980 Pros but everyone else is reporting on the 990 pros

980s & 990s had similar issues apparently. The 980 release was issued a couple of weeks back. I would definitely be checking my drive if I had them.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah that's my understanding too.

980s & 990s had similar issues apparently. The 980 release was issued a couple of weeks back. I would definitely be checking my drive if I had them.
Have updated the title to include the 980s, wasn't aware they were affected also.

There's a new video from Jayz2Cents on the subject, although particular to the 980s, but I believe the issue is the same on both models.

TLDR: If you install Samsung Magician, if it's showing a firmware version starting with a 3 (any numbers after that) and was manufactured in 2021, then you're affected and you need to update the firmware. If you're at all unsure of the manufacturing date, then I'd just update the firmware anyway if you're on the 3 version

If it starts with a 4 or 5, then you should be fine.

But from what Jay is saying, the new firmware DOES in fact correct and reset any failed sectors, and they should again show healthy.

Last edited: