Samsung SSD 970 1TB Evo Plus Query

ShutterBug365

Bronze Level Poster
Well having recently purchased a laptop for my mother, my father decided he wanted one.

Just setting it up and installed Samsung Magician on it and noticed that it is already reporting that 12.3TB has been written to the drive. It only arrived today and am just installing some software for him. When checking my own Samsung 830 from 2012 it is only reporting 18.6TB written and it has been through many re-formats over the years.

Is it normal to receive a brand new laptop having already had 12.3TB written to it, I appreciate that testing has occurred with the full drive being read and write checks which will fill the drive up a couple of times but this equates to 12 times.

It did fail initial testing due to heat issues, so did go through testing twice.

Also, never had the option before but it says the firmware is out of date, is it worth upgrading it if everything is fine. Have read a few stories online that say you can brick it etc.

Thanks

ps. Will be doing a review of the 2nd laptop shortly.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well having recently purchased a laptop for my mother, my father decided he wanted one.

Just setting it up and installed Samsung Magician on it and noticed that it is already reporting that 12.3TB has been written to the drive. It only arrived today and am just installing some software for him. When checking my own Samsung 830 from 2012 it is only reporting 18.6TB written and it has been through many re-formats over the years.

Is it normal to receive a brand new laptop having already had 12.3TB written to it, I appreciate that testing has occurred with the full drive being read and write checks which will fill the drive up a couple of times but this equates to 12 times.

It did fail initial testing due to heat issues, so did go through testing twice.

Also, never had the option before but it says the firmware is out of date, is it worth upgrading it if everything is fine. Have read a few stories online that say you can brick it etc.

Thanks

ps. Will be doing a review of the 2nd laptop shortly.
PCS do do write tests on the drives as this has come up before BUT, that does seem like an excessive amount of writes.

I would raise it with PCS.

With regards to the BIOS, if you want to update it, best chatting with PCS at the same time as BIOS updates need to be done with their approval to retain warranty, for the exact reason you described which is that it can brick the device if not done correctly.