Samsung SSD EVO 860 don't showing up.

HAL9000

Hi there,

I have received my new pc ( ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 64 GB Ram) and I'm trying to install a Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB using a OWC OWCSSDACL6G.S Accelsior S - PCIe to 2.5" 6Gb / s SATA SSD Host Adapter from my old machine in one of the PCIe slots available.

Unfortunately, the drive is not showing up and when I checked the disk management it shows just 130MB unallocated and no options to initialized the disk. I did try to format it and it didn't work. I have installed the Samsung Magician app and it detects the disk but it is described as Volume not found.

I have follow a couple of tutorials but without any success. I have a attached a screenshot of the Disk Management app and the Samsung App.

Have anyone had a similar issue before? any advice of what can I do? I very appreciate any help.

Thanks

Felipe

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 237
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 228

HAL9000

HI,

Being honest, although there are a couple of free SATA slots I couldn't find a power lead to connect to and not drive bay either so it was the most convenient way to plug it in and being even more honest the pc is brand new and I don't want to mess it up.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
HI,

Being honest, although there are a couple of free SATA slots I couldn't find a power lead to connect to and not drive bay either so it was the most convenient way to plug it in and being even more honest the pc is brand new and I don't want to mess it up.
What are your full specs?

HAL9000

CaseFRACTAL MESHIFY C BLACK GAMING CASE (Window)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR 275R AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)64GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 32GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 256GB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (500MB/R, 400MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card ReaderUSB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So there should be a spare SATA power cable in the welcome box as it’s a modular PSU, you just have to attach that.

Obviously make sure the pc is powered off at the wall before doing any work on it.

HAL9000

Hey thank you very much for your reply.

I do have the SATA power cable but I meant that I could not figure out where it connects to. Do you mind to point me in the right place where I can get the power from please? I did use the motherboard guide to look for the exact place to do it but all the connections are used already.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey thank you very much for your reply.

I do have the SATA power cable but I meant that I could not figure out where it connects to. Do you mind to point me in the right place where I can get the power from please? I did use the motherboard guide to look for the exact place to do it but all the connections are used already.
It’s the PSU, not the motherboard, where the power cable goes in (but the other side for the internal connectors)

HAL9000

Hi, Again thanks for your help.

I have plugged the disk in via SATA and still the volume is not recognised, again I run the Samsung Magician tool and it detects the disk but when I run the disk management there is not any sign of it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, Again thanks for your help.

I have plugged the disk in via SATA and still the volume is not recognised, again I run the Samsung Magician tool and it detects the disk but when I run the disk management there is not any sign of it.
So you’ve got a SATA power and SATA data cable plugged in?

HAL9000

Yes I did access to the back of the tower and connected power from one slot available from the already installed SSD disk and and I got a new ATA HDD SSD data cable lead plugged in to one of the SATA ports on the right bottom corner of the motherboard. attached the screenshot of the disk management app.

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 196

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes I did access to the back of the tower and connected power from one slot available from the already installed SSD disk and and I got a new ATA HDD SSD data cable lead plugged in to one of the SATA ports on the right bottom corner of the motherboard. attached the screenshot of the disk management app.
And it's none of those drives? Not disk 0?

HAL9000

That is the thing I don't understand, why it shows those partitions? the attached image is from the system information.
Very sorry if i am being dumb with this but I don't want to format the disk and messed up the OS. thanks

Attachments

• Capture5.JPG
    Capture5.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 201

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That is the thing I don't understand, why it shows those partitions? the attached image is from the system information.
Very sorry if i am being dumb with this but I don't want to format the disk and messed up the OS. thanks
I’m guessing it’s transferred direct from an Apple device? If so it will be APFS partitions which can’t be read by windows, completely different file structure. You’d need to delete all partitions and format as NTFS or ExFAT

The disk is being read fine though, it’s showing up perfectly.

HAL9000

Sorted! I did delete the partitions and formatted it.

I was just confused because before I installed the disk I wiped it and format for windows and I didn't understand why the partitions Thank you very much for your help very appreciated.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I was just confused because before I installed the disk I wiped it and format for windows and I didn't understand why the partitions Thank you very much for your help very appreciated.
In a UEFI system (which all PCS builds now use) any operating system must create three specific partitions on the system drive - the UEFI standards require it. That's as true for Apple as it is for Windows. In the case of Windows there are four partitions (though one is hidden); these are called EFI, Recovery, and Windows (sometimes just Primary), which are the standard UEFI partitions. The hidden partition is MSR (the Microsoft Reserved Partition). :)