Sata M2 drives - advice

Animal_79

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Everybody and many thanks to all who helped me on my lst thread.

So, I want to expand my hard disk space, currently only having 512 GB.

I will likely ugrade my laptop in the next 12 to 24 months and I had planned to get a 1TB drive now which I could move over to a new system as and when I upgrade - however as my current laptop will only accept a Sata drive it seems my chioces are limited.

Do many newer laptops use sata drives? From my (admitedly limited), research it seems that all new machines seem to use NVMe.

I do have space in my laptop for a standard SSD. If i can't get a m2 drive that I will be able to transfer over, am I right in thinking that a standard (i.e. non-m2) SSD will be more cost effective?

Are there any other options?

Thanks again,

Ben

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Everybody and many thanks to all who helped me on my lst thread.

So, I want to expand my hard disk space, currently only having 512 GB.

I will likely ugrade my laptop in the next 12 to 24 months and I had planned to get a 1TB drive now which I could move over to a new system as and when I upgrade - however as my current laptop will only accept a Sata drive it seems my chioces are limited.

Do many newer laptops use sata drives? From my (admitedly limited), research it seems that all new machines seem to use NVMe.

I do have space in my laptop for a standard SSD. If i can't get a m2 drive that I will be able to transfer over, am I right in thinking that a standard (i.e. non-m2) SSD will be more cost effective?

Are there any other options?

Thanks again,

Ben
SATA M2 was the first version of M2, it's not used anymore.

NVME is now the standard which runs off the PCIe lane and is substantially faster.

Either SATA M2 or 2.5" SATA SSD will perform exactly the same, they use the same bus to are limited to 550mbs. They're around the same cost also.

As such, I wouldn't go spending the money for a high tier SATA M2, something like a WD Blue would suffice at around £84 for 1Tb

If you wanted a 2.5" SATA then something like a Samsung 960 Evo would be perfectly suitable.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just additionally a 2.5" SATA would likely be more useful, even on a modern PC you could add it as a storage drive.

Most laptops now only take NVME M2 drives, they no longer have 2.5" drive bays.

But nothing these days supports SATA M2's.

But any PC could fit it and will do for a long time to come I would imagine.