Secureboot

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
I'm currently running 8.1 windows and I have the secureboot isn't configured properly message.

My question is if I looked at switching it on at a later date would I have to re-install windows again. Because if that's the case then I won't start installing all my apps again until I manage to get rid of the watermark

I know it sounds strange but its more peace of mind than anything

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes. You can't switch UEFI on or off without reinstalling Windows.

Several people have had problems with UEFI (secureboot) so unless you think you're at risk of boot sector viruses and the like then I would turn it off. I have it off on my Optimus IV.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to remove the watermark by activating your secure boot do the following.
Hello there,

Thank you for your email, we apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused you. To get rid of the watermark you must first enable secure boot. To do so follow the steps below.
• Boot the computer and press F2 key to enter BIOS.
• Go to the ‘Security’ Tab
• Enter into the ‘Secure Boot’ menu option
• Please make sure ‘Secure Boot Control’ is set to ‘Enabled’. (This may be set to standard mode, if so set to custom).
• Go into ‘Key Management’
• Set ‘Factory Default Key Provisioning’ to ‘Enabled’.
• Select ‘Install All Factory Default Keys’. You should notice all of the Keys below will now say ‘Installed’.

Secure Boot is now enabled.

Press Esc and save settings and exit.

Windows 8.1 will now boot securely.
Hello there,

• Please make sure ‘Secure Boot Control’ is set to ‘Enabled’. (This may be set to standard mode, if so set to custom).
• Go into ‘Key Management’
• Set ‘Factory Default Key Provisioning’ to ‘Enabled’.
• Select ‘Install All Factory Default Keys’. You should notice all of the Keys below will now say ‘Installed’.

Secure Boot is now enabled.

Press Esc and save settings and exit.

Windows 8.1 will now boot securely.

(may differ slightly)

Smythe

Thank you for your email, we apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused you. To get rid of the watermark you must first enable secure boot. To do so follow the steps below.

Hi, what if SecureBoot isn't an option under the BIOS?
I have an Enigma IV laptop with Insyde H20 BIOS that appears to have a third party TPM and no options for SecureBoot.

Sidmouth

Silver Level Poster
Many thanks for the replies I will have a go at trying this within the BIOS. I assume my BIOS will include these options otherwise the watermark wouldn't be present.

On another note is the PC secure minus this extra layer of security, of course its better to enable it if you have the option but I imagine its not the end of the world with it switched off?

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Many thanks for the replies I will have a go at trying this within the BIOS. I assume my BIOS will include these options otherwise the watermark wouldn't be present.

On another note is the PC secure minus this extra layer of security, of course its better to enable it if you have the option but I imagine its not the end of the world with it switched off?

Thanks

No, it's far from the end of the world if you switch secureboot off, all it does is protect you from boot sector viruses and trojans.

As I mentioned, if you do switch it off you will have to do a clean reinstall of Windows, you can't turn it on or off otherwise.