Seeing about getting my first laptop for general use and moderate gaming

Bitey

Ok then, I'm thinking of buying my first laptop, I have an outdated dell dimension e520 at the moment and rather than replace it with another desktop I thought I'd spend a bit more on getting a decent laptop to use for everything and do without a desktop altogether. I still want it to be reasonably mobile but I figure a lot of its use will be at home.

I'm not desperate for top of the range performance (and with a budget of around £800 I realise I ain't gonna get that anyway) but I would like to be able to do some decent gaming on it- total war games are my poison and my poor 2.66 single processor, with 1gb ram was about as active as my dog when she's lying in a patch of sun when i tried to play the total war empire demo.

So in terms of benchmark performance, I'd like to be able to play the latest total war: shogun title on good graphics settings (not necessarily highest but I'd like it to play smoothly and look good and ideally be able to handle future games at a more average graphics level)
I'd also like a decent sized hard drive as I have thousands of photos to store (I probably want 500gb at least) I'm not quite sure about speed- I don't really understand what distinct differences hard drive, cpu and ram speed (or graphics card speed for that matter) make to performance- I remember being told once that theres not much point upgrading one far beyond the level of the others- is this true? Is there no point having a really fast cpu and skimping on ram/ hardrive speed and vice versa?

I'm not quite decided on screen size, as ever its the tradeoff between portability and gaming enjoyment I'm probably aiming in the 15" to 17" range.

I'm something of a computing newby and I find the range of cpus, hardrives, ram and graphics cards etc somewhat confusing. Probably because they have relatively simple to follow names I've been drawn to the intel i3,i5,i7 range, I reckon a mid level i5 will probably be sufficient for my needs but I now realise its not as simple as being a simple performance gradient with these processors. Judging by price it seems some i5s can be faster than some i7s- I'd just presumed quad core was always better than dual core but I guess this isn't always the case?

Right better round off there, loads of uncertainty already as you can see!

Any advice would be much appreciated,
thanks, R

Ali-W

Shogun 2

My friend, how amazing, I jsut bought a laptop which should arrive tomorrow and the game I also bought is SHOGUN ". I looooooooooooooooooveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee totar war games.

Ok, my laptop cost £780 and I hope it will be good enough for a decent graphics card.

Ok let me give you the specs, and dude we should play online together as well.

here are my specs

Chassis & Display
Enigma III 540: 15.6" Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card
NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
250GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD2500BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Memory Card Reader (SD, MMC, MS)
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD (AS STANDARD)
USB Options
1 x USB 3.0 PORT + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Bluetooth & Infrared Options
ENIGMA SERIES INTEGRATED BLUETOOTH ADAPTER (£7)
Battery
Enigma III Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,100/5,200 mAh)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 120W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Stands & Port Replicators
NONE
Carry Case
NONE
Monitor
NONE
Keyboard & Mouse
NONE

Change to: Logitech® Wireless Desktop® MK250 Keyboard and Mouse Combo (£18)

Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Speakers
NONE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Headsets (VOIP)
NONE
Surge Protection
NONE
Printer
NONE
External Hard Drive
NONE
Home Installation
NONE
Insurance
NONE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Data Recovery
NONE
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Pricing Information

Price (excluding VAT)
£650.00

Price
£780.00

I think it will be good enough and for the future as well (2-4 yrs)

Ali-W

Moderator can you please help

The requirements for Shogun 2 is as follows

Recommended Specs (Recommended for optimum game play of Total War: Shogun 2):

2nd Generation Intel® Core™i5 processor (or greater), or AMD equivalent
2GB RAM (XP), 4GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
AMD Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 series graphics cards or equivalent DirectX 11 compatible graphics card
1280×1024 minimum screen resolution
20GB free hard disk space

My laptop is the posting above, how well would it play the game? Can I put teh graphics detail on high?

That would answer both our questions,

Please let me know

Thank

JSG10

Expert
Given the recommended specs of Shogun 2 you should be able to run it on max with that proposed spec quite easily :) You *may* find that you struggle a little online and have to drop it down a touch but thats not too big an issue :)

I'm just waiting for my Shogun 2 to arrive :D Should run easily on my PC :)

Last edited:

Ali-W

thats amazing man, thanks. I cant wait, my laptop is on testing which has been since yesterday morning, there is a chance i will get it tomorrow figners crossed but the game wont arrive till next week I think.

proper excited

Dariusz

Shogun 2 is a hard game to predict. A map would run smooth BUT the battle with thousand of soldiers... U can forget about that. I run 2x xeon e5530 with 24 gb ram and gtx 480 and it drop fps to about 25 or so in fight... Depending how close camera is too. But point is... Even with the top laptop GPU it will still happen so I guess u just fine in campaign and to the curtain point on battlefield !

Bitey

Thanks for the responses. Got a few more questions.

Am i right in thinking that all i5s are dual core and all i7s are quad core? because there is a dual core i7 2620 cpu listed as an option, is that meant to be an i5 2620. And whats the thinking between the choice between i5/i7. From my research thus far I get the general impression that quad cores will be useful for playing games over the next few years, but that many current/ older games can't really take advantage of their performance in which case you'd be better off getting a cheaper i5?

Also RAM- is 1600 mhz over 1333 an important thing or is getting more mb of RAM more important? is kinston noticeably better than samsung? and what difference does the configuration of RAM make- I notice that its cheaper to buy 2*2 gb than 1*4 gb for example is there a related performance difference? why would you go for one over the other?

Finally I'm also a little confused about the differences between the starting chassis/models. The difference between the enigma 520 and 540 is just the graphics card right? but whats distinctive about the enigma i7- they can all have i7 processors can't they? Also is there anyway of getting a better graphics card in the 17" optimus II model- or would you just have to start with the 17" vortex- £330 extra over the optimus II for a better graphics card seems a lot...

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
1. i5 or i7 is the model name designated by Intel - either can be dual or quad core, or even hex core on some cases.

2. 1600MHz RAM is marginally faster that 1333MHz, but in real world usage you probably won't notice the difference between the speeds. Both Kingston and Samsung are fantastic brands, we offer Kingston on the 1600MHz because Samsung don't manufacture 1600MHz RAM at present, and Kingston is better designed for gaming, particularly on the desktop SKUs because it's got heatsinks attached.

3. 1 x 4GB is better because it will leave a slot free to allow an upgrade to 8GB in future. If you added 2 x 2GB you would have to replace both modules should you wish to upgrade the laptop in the future.

4. The difference between the Enigma III 520 and the Enigma III 540 is:
a) Better graphics
b) Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution as opposed to 1366 x 768 HD resolution.
c) In tests the Enigma III 540 appears to have a better battery life, but this is not confirmed yet, more testing will be taking place next week.

5. The Enigma i7 is based on a different architecture and the processors are different. It's a great laptop but an older model.

6. There will be a 2GB GT 555M available on the Optimus II, which will be in stock in approximately 4 - 6 weeks time.

JonnyPx

Gold Level Poster
1. i5 or i7 is the model name designated by Intel - either can be dual or quad core, or even hex core on some cases.

2. 1600MHz RAM is marginally faster that 1333MHz, but in real world usage you probably won't notice the difference between the speeds. Both Kingston and Samsung are fantastic brands, we offer Kingston on the 1600MHz because Samsung don't manufacture 1600MHz RAM at present, and Kingston is better designed for gaming, particularly on the desktop SKUs because it's got heatsinks attached.

3. 1 x 4GB is better because it will leave a slot free to allow an upgrade to 8GB in future. If you added 2 x 2GB you would have to replace both modules should you wish to upgrade the laptop in the future.

4. The difference between the Enigma III 520 and the Enigma III 540 is:
a) Better graphics
b) Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution as opposed to 1366 x 768 HD resolution.
c) In tests the Enigma III 540 appears to have a better battery life, but this is not confirmed yet, more testing will be taking place next week.

5. The Enigma i7 is based on a different architecture and the processors are different. It's a great laptop but an older model.

6. There will be a 2GB GT 555M available on the Optimus II, which will be in stock in approximately 4 - 6 weeks time.

Hi Pcs, have a few questions. First of all, do you have a rough idea of how much the 555m upgrade will cost over the stock 540m? And if I will have to wait 4-6 weeks, will the specification/pricing have changed over that period? Just wondering if it is worth me hanging on for a possibly cheaper etc optimus 15.6 inch then upgrading to the 555m when it comes available.

Bitey

Ok then, still not really decided between an enigma or the optimus 2 but I reckon a few things are starting to crystalise now- it seems 1600mhz RAM is unecessary so I'm looking at 8gb of 1333mhz.

In terms of processors and based on my price range, it seems like its between the dual core i5-2620m (2.5ghz, 3mb cache) and the quad core i7-2630 qm (2.0 ghz 6mb cache) any advice as to which would be best and what difference the relative speeds and cache sizes makes? Theres also the quite a bit more expensive i7-2620m which I can't really understand the attraction of, as its a dual core only 0.2ghz faster than the i5 2520m....

Graphics card I'm still somewhat at sea about as I dont really understand how their relative performance compares and quite how much of that power I'll need. I've heard several times that the graphics card is probably the most important element of a gaming laptop for example so this new GT 555m sounds tempting but for all i know I might be fine with the 540m. I also read on this forum I think that having a 2gb graphics card over a 1gb is only really important if playing at a higher resolution- does this mean on a bigger screen?

thanks, R

JonnyPx

Gold Level Poster
Ok then, still not really decided between an enigma or the optimus 2 but I reckon a few things are starting to crystalise now- it seems 1600mhz RAM is unecessary so I'm looking at 8gb of 1333mhz.

In terms of processors and based on my price range, it seems like its between the dual core i5-2620m (2.5ghz, 3mb cache) and the quad core i7-2630 qm (2.0 ghz 6mb cache) any advice as to which would be best and what difference the relative speeds and cache sizes makes? Theres also the quite a bit more expensive i7-2620m which I can't really understand the attraction of, as its a dual core only 0.2ghz faster than the i5 2520m....

Graphics card I'm still somewhat at sea about as I dont really understand how their relative performance compares and quite how much of that power I'll need. I've heard several times that the graphics card is probably the most important element of a gaming laptop for example so this new GT 555m sounds tempting but for all i know I might be fine with the 540m. I also read on this forum I think that having a 2gb graphics card over a 1gb is only really important if playing at a higher resolution- does this mean on a bigger screen?

thanks, R

Go on notebookcheck.net Bitey, they rank graphics cards so you can compare a gt 540m to a 555m. Higher resolutions means more pixels being displayed, so for example the 15.6" Enigma III 540 has a resolution of 1920x1080, which is very high. You can turn it down in the settings if you want though.

Nemesis

See this website for a comparison between two identical mid-high end desktop GPUs (namely the GTX460 1GB and 2GB) : http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/GTX 460 ANALYSIS/P16.html
As you can see even when playing on a resolution of 2500x1600 the difference in frame rate is small.
The addition of memory is just to trick buyers in all but the top of the range cards (Which can take advantage of it).
so these graphics cards (GT540 and GT555M) , being mid-range, probably wouldnt be able to use the extra 1GB anyway.

Basically ignore the Memory and go for the faster card (In terms of memory clocks, cuda cores etc...)

Flucky

... 6. There will be a 2GB GT 555M available on the Optimus II, which will be in stock in approximately 4 - 6 weeks time.

Ooh that stopped me in my tracks. Judging from notebookreview even though they've only tried it on one machine it's got quite a bit of a performance boost compared to the 540M.

Will it be long before you know the prices? Googling it, it doesn't look like anyone really has an estimate.

Bitey

Just bumping this to echo others interest in pricing estimates for the gt 555m (will there be a 1 gb available too?) and to see if anyone had any guidance as to the relative merits of the i5-2620m (2.5ghz, 3mb cache) and the i7-2630 qm (2.0 ghz 6mb cache)

Bitey

Ok then, now that the GT 555m is available, I've put togther an initial build:

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 17.3" Full HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-2520M (2.50GHz) 3MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD (STANDARD)
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Office Software
Anti-Virus
Carry Case
TARGUS XL CITY GEAR 16" - 17.3" LAPTOP CASE TCG417 (£44)
Notebook Mouse
LOGITECH® OPTICAL USB MOUSE (£5)
Webcam
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £855.00 including VAT and delivery.

Still wondering whether the i7-2630 qm (2.0 ghz 6mb cache) might be a better option- still don't really understand if this would perform better than the i5-2620m (2.5ghz, 3mb cache) for my purposes- the most demanding of which will probably be running recent total war games- empire/ napoleon/ shogun 2.

Also would people recommend upgrading the wireless card? I don't know what I'd need bluetooth for, if anything, but its not much to get a faster 300/ 450mbps card (what mbps is the standard fit?) would this provide noticeably improved internet browsing/ download/ streaming etc speeds?

thanks for any feedback, Bitey

Bitey

Here's what I went for in the end, figured the i5 would handle total war games better due to its higher clock speed and I don't really do that much processor intensive stuff the rest of the time- burning a film whilst having a bunch of internet tabs open is probably the most demanding sort of thing I'll be asking of it other than gaming so I reckoned I could do without a bottom of the range i7

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 17.3" Full HD LED Backlit Widescreen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glossy
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Dual Core Mobile Processor i5-2520M (2.50GHz) 3MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD (STANDARD)
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Office Software
Anti-Virus
Carry Case
TARGUS XL CITY GEAR 16" - 17.3" LAPTOP CASE TCG417 (£44)
Mouse
LOGITECH® OPTICAL USB MOUSE (£5)
Webcam
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Warranty