Self-hating grammar police

polycrac

Rising Star
I am the sort of person who gets wound up by people confusing the words 'to and 'too'. I don't like this about myself, it doesn't make me proud - it just is. Unfortunately my keyboard's O key is playing up (maybe just needs a clean) and sometimes it double presses, sometimes it doesn't activate at all. To anyone who reads my posts and spots these mistakes - I'm sorry. So, so sorry. I think this must be some kind of karma.

polycrac

Rising Star
No need to apologise to anyone...there is nothing wrong with getting irked by misused grammar...sometimes I see something and I have to fight the urge to throw something at the monitor and just resort to shouting at it instead lol. Interestingly, I am looking at the number of "o"s in your post and wondering how many times you had to delete excess ones?
Resorted to using my phone!

HotDogMan

Has long as it's not on purpose it's okay lol, it has to be frustrating though ;)

Or I could've just said that I always notice when as and has have been used incorrectly, it's even worse when it's in media articles for me as opposed to work emails, an article on skysports today had used as instead of has, it really stands out to me (n)

steaky360

I can barely spell... I'm so glad for spell-check on PCs... Often makes me feel very foolish...

Stephen M

Author Level
I had a delivery from DHL a couple of days ago and it was late. I noted the apology on their online tracker, part of it read ". . . we will try and get to you as soon as possible."

"Try and" is something that does annoy me but I expect it will be accepted as standard usage in not many years time as language evolves and often quite quickly. Not saying it is right but is probably unavoidable and as the only use of language is to communicate, the important thing is that people understand what is written. I prefer to see correctly written pieces but get annoyed at some of the nit-picking, especially when I see someone corrected in a way that is impolite.

Another that irks me but is the now accepted use of billion. We all seem to use the American definition now, 1,000 million but that is actually a milliard, a true billion as one million million.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I had a delivery from DHL a couple of days ago and it was late. I noted the apology on their online tracker, part of it read ". . . we will try and get to you as soon as possible."

"Try and" is something that does annoy me but I expect it will be accepted as standard usage in not many years time as language evolves and often quite quickly. Not saying it is right but is probably unavoidable and as the only use of language is to communicate, the important thing is that people understand what is written. I prefer to see correctly written pieces but get annoyed at some of the nit-picking, especially when I see someone corrected in a way that is impolite.

Another that irks me but is the now accepted use of billion. We all seem to use the American definition now, 1,000 million but that is actually a milliard, a true billion as one million million.
Yoda once famously said 'do or do not, there is no try'.