Semi Enthusiast Gaming Build

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
At the moment I have an i5 4590, 16gb ram and a 1070 that I just bought but obviously I will be buying a new PC in the coming years because ageing yo and I will be keeping hold of the 1070. What do you think of this system for my next PC? I would use it for a bit of rendering/video editing and high fps gaming. I want to get an i7 because I want high minimum frame rates and I want to take advantage of hyperthreading in games which use it. e.g. cities skylines, gta 5, star citizen, battlefield... which I play a lot. Thanks.

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE R5 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700k (4.0GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® Z170 PRO GAMING: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB Kit)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD
1st Hard Disk
500GB Samsung 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD BLACK 3.5" WD1003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET (£109)
Processor Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler (£69)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,186.00 including VAT and delivery.

850 watt power supply because I recently had a fault with my power supply but pcs sent me a replacement rmx 650 instead of the cs650. I have read that the CS series have noise related problems and I did also.
I'm not to sure about the motherboard because I don't know if it improves performance slightly or not.
Beefy air cooler because I'm not into water cooling and I want to keep the CPU chill and maybe a little overclocking.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Looks decent. :)
Motherboard doesn't improvement performance (not to any degree you're likely to notice), but it has features like newer USB types, more ports, better onboard audio etc that can justify the extra expense, depending on your tastes. The Noctua cooler is excellent, as is the RMx series.

Frank100

Rising Star
Hi,

If you are a music enthusiast you might want to add an external Digital Analogue Converter to a family member's list of things to get you for Christmas. Then for someone who really likes you a pair of monitor speakers. The difference in depth and range of sound is unbelievable when you hear songs played through these two bits of kit when you've been listening through a sound card (or on-board chip) and computer speakers for a while.

It's not a very cheap way of playing music from your computer though. I would suggest about £60-90 for an external DAC and about £200 for speakers. You will start to hear things you didn't hear before like a symbol crash or a short counter bridge by the bassist that you didn't know was in the song. Unless you listen to manufactured pop, in which case you aren't missing anything!

I would still recommend the motherboard you've picked anyway because USB 3.1 is worth having for the future.

The Noctua cooler is very good but it is huge. I have one in a PC and find it a bit too obtrusive if I'm being honest.

Frank100