Serious USB issue Clevo P771DM-G

chrisssj2

I bought a laptop some time ago here and i have always had an issue with usb devices (more specificaly usb HD drivers)(i have like 10 of them)
Often, (sometimes not) but just as often as not. I get the message the device is malfunctioning unknown device.
This popup sound/error windows keeps popping up continually. Other then that. the device seems to be working.
But sometimes it doesnt recognise a usb drive when I am continally swithcing HD drives, and the only thing that can solve that is a reboot.
Now I also use a USB HDD docking station for normal harddrives via USB, brand new. So I dont think its the device, with what i said previously in mind.

This device causes total mayhem. disconnect every 10 minutes or sooner if im not so lucky, I can barely finish a copy or get errors, data corrupt, and messages about read/write errors at sector etc.. which ends up in the data being corrupted. and i scan the drive and so forth, and i keep trying again.

I use windows 10 X 64

Device manager says usb is fine except for 1 usb entry called Unknown usb device (device descripted failed)

Please assist me in this godly annoying problem.
I have no idea how to solve it.

I double checked the drivers, and i have all of them installed from here:
http://www.clevo.com/en/e-services/download/ftpOut.asp?Lmodel=P7xxDM/P7xxDM-G&ltype=9&submit=+GO+

And there isn't even a specific usb driver for this laptop..

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The USB drivers are contained within the chipset driver. If you bought it 'some time ago' I'm assuming it's now out of warranty? Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from an earlier version of Windows? If you did, then did you do an upgrade-in-place (ie. did you upgrade to Windows 10 from a running version of the previous Windows)?

Upgrade-in-place (whether or not you chose to keep existing programs and data) is known to cause all sorts of niggly issues for many users. The best (and IMO the only sensible) way to upgrade to Windows 10 (or to upgrade to a new edition of Windows 10) is to do a completely clean reinstall. If you did do an upgrade in place I would strongly suggest doing a clean install of Windows 10 before doing any other troubleshooting.

When you do the reinstall allow Windows Update to install all the drivers it can find, this often requires several runs of Windows Update. In my (and others) experience Windows 10 makes a much better job of finding the best drivers than earlier versions of Windows. It should only be necessary to manually install drivers where Windows 10 can't find any. As an example, on my (four year old) Optimus IV PCS laptop, Windows Update finds all the necessary drivers and I've seen a good many other laptops where Windows Update has found and installed all the necessary drivers too.

chrisssj2

The USB drivers are contained within the chipset driver. If you bought it 'some time ago' I'm assuming it's now out of warranty? Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from an earlier version of Windows? If you did, then did you do an upgrade-in-place (ie. did you upgrade to Windows 10 from a running version of the previous Windows)?

Upgrade-in-place (whether or not you chose to keep existing programs and data) is known to cause all sorts of niggly issues for many users. The best (and IMO the only sensible) way to upgrade to Windows 10 (or to upgrade to a new edition of Windows 10) is to do a completely clean reinstall. If you did do an upgrade in place I would strongly suggest doing a clean install of Windows 10 before doing any other troubleshooting.

When you do the reinstall allow Windows Update to install all the drivers it can find, this often requires several runs of Windows Update. In my (and others) experience Windows 10 makes a much better job of finding the best drivers than earlier versions of Windows. It should only be necessary to manually install drivers where Windows 10 can't find any. As an example, on my (four year old) Optimus IV PCS laptop, Windows Update finds all the necessary drivers and I've seen a good many other laptops where Windows Update has found and installed all the necessary drivers too.

It's now been 1 year and 3 months or something like that. I dont know about the warranty in details.
It's a clean Windows 10 installation.
Google doesn't help with googling the error, and trying solutions. Seems hopeless.

I have had this problem since the beginning and i did use windows update for a while, and I don't think that didnt fix it either.
Now I have turned off windows update because it forcefully applied the latest big windows 10 update, and i dont want that. (more problems..)
Just checked again. it start downloading without me saying which updates i want or not. Go away microsoft...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Don't turn off updates. You just leave yourself wide open to nasties such as wanacrypt et al.

Don't want evergreen? That's kind of tough really because MS are delivering Windows 10 as persistent updates whether you want them or not...that said I cannot recall them forcing anyone down the Creators or Anniversary editions.

Try this for the chipset - http://www.clevo.com/en/e-services/download/ftpout_download.asp?sno=7998&no=1

If that link doesn't work try this one - http://www.clevo.com/en/e-services/download/ftpOut.asp?Lmodel=P870DM&ltype=9&submit=+GO+

I believe, though it's not the same chassis, from a bit of research that it is the same chipset.

chrisssj2

Don't turn off updates. You just leave yourself wide open to nasties such as wanacrypt et al.

Don't want evergreen? That's kind of tough really because MS are delivering Windows 10 as persistent updates whether you want them or not...that said I cannot recall them forcing anyone down the Creators or Anniversary editions.

Try this for the chipset - http://www.clevo.com/en/e-services/download/ftpout_download.asp?sno=7998&no=1

If that link doesn't work try this one - http://www.clevo.com/en/e-services/download/ftpOut.asp?Lmodel=P870DM&ltype=9&submit=+GO+

I believe, though it's not the same chassis, from a bit of research that it is the same chipset.

Trust me this issue is completly seperate wether or not I have updates turned on. If I turn it on, i can see the updates it installs, (ZERO CHOICE on my part)
Usb or device drivers are not among them.
And i have tried this before when i still did get all updates from windows 10, so by that logic i shouldve gotten the usb update anyway if there was any.
There are ppl with bluescreens, compatibllity issues after updating. I wont risk it. Not a chance.
So please let's move on to real solutions.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Trust me this issue is completly seperate wether or not I have updates turned on. If I turn it on, i can see the updates it installs, (ZERO CHOICE on my part)
Usb or device drivers are not among them.
And i have tried this before when i still did get all updates from windows 10, so by that logic i shouldve gotten the usb update anyway if there was any.
There are ppl with bluescreens, compatibllity issues after updating. I wont risk it. Not a chance.
So please let's move on to real solutions.

Ok so when you're done with the snarky comments how about trying the driver I linked to? Or is that not a real enough solution for you?

Do what you want - it's your computer. When it gets compromised it's on your head.

Good luck finding a solution. I am sorry if you feel the advice you get is "not real". You clearly know better than me. So be it.

chrisssj2

Ok so when you're done with the snarky comments how about trying the driver I linked to? Or is that not a real enough solution for you?

Do what you want - it's your computer. When it gets compromised it's on your head.

Good luck finding a solution. I am sorry if you feel the advice you get is "not real". You clearly know better than me. So be it.

Hey Tony,
Sorry you feel this way. To be honest i did not see your links, somehow i must have missed them (or perhaps you edit post?)
Anyway after checking. One installed, and did not solve the problem. The other one did not install (probably because of a different chipset)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's now been 1 year and 3 months or something like that. I dont know about the warranty in details.
It's a clean Windows 10 installation.
Google doesn't help with googling the error, and trying solutions. Seems hopeless.

I have had this problem since the beginning and i did use windows update for a while, and I don't think that didnt fix it either.
Now I have turned off windows update because it forcefully applied the latest big windows 10 update, and i dont want that. (more problems..)
Just checked again. it start downloading without me saying which updates i want or not. Go away microsoft...

If you've had this problem since the beginning why have you not contacted PCS sooner? The standard warranty is for 12 months but if you can show the problem has existed since day one PCS might consider a warranty repair (I don't work for PCS though).

If it was a clean Windows install and you have been running Windows Update then it's unlikely to be a driver issue. It sounds now more like a hardware issue to me, though I would suggest you follow up on Tony1044's links and try those chipset drivers.

Turning off Windows Update is not a wise move, you need these updates (and you absolutely need the security updates). It is true that Windows 10 is still a work in progress in many ways (and that's another reason for needing Windows updates). Also, it is never a smart move to upgrade in place (ie. upgrade to a new Windows 10 edition from a running Windows 10 system) upgrades are new versions of the OS and they are always best installed as a clean install.

Your best option now is to call PCS on Monday, explain the problem and all the resolutions you have tried and ask for their help. If you explain that you've had this issue from day one you can ask if they would consider fixing it under warranty. You need to be prepared to explain why you've waited this long to report the problem however....

chrisssj2

If you've had this problem since the beginning why have you not contacted PCS sooner? The standard warranty is for 12 months but if you can show the problem has existed since day one PCS might consider a warranty repair (I don't work for PCS though).

If it was a clean Windows install and you have been running Windows Update then it's unlikely to be a driver issue. It sounds now more like a hardware issue to me, though I would suggest you follow up on Tony1044's links and try those chipset drivers.

Turning off Windows Update is not a wise move, you need these updates (and you absolutely need the security updates). It is true that Windows 10 is still a work in progress in many ways (and that's another reason for needing Windows updates). Also, it is never a smart move to upgrade in place (ie. upgrade to a new Windows 10 edition from a running Windows 10 system) upgrades are new versions of the OS and they are always best installed as a clean install.

Your best option now is to call PCS on Monday, explain the problem and all the resolutions you have tried and ask for their help. If you explain that you've had this issue from day one you can ask if they would consider fixing it under warranty. You need to be prepared to explain why you've waited this long to report the problem however....

Well i adamantly hate for microsoft and their "updates". ussually break things for me. aslong as they are automatic installed without me saying which and when, i wont enable them, (completely separate subject though)

I tried the chipset drivers, and the one that did install, did not change anything, unfortunately as I have had them already installed since day 1.
Also clean install is not an option for me, since I have many configurations setup that take a long time and are very specific, but if I knew it would possilby solve the issue. its something that can be tried. Perhaps in a dual boot? If it's possible to have 2 windows 10 installations. (windows 7 also had an issue with usb, and the slipstreaming thing never worked for me)

Why i haven't contacted PC's is because the problem never really was a problem (just anoyying) till I got a usb docking station for normal 3.5/2,5 HDD disks. This device made using it, really impossible.
So yeah, thats why I come now seeking solution, since it is something in the way of the thing I want to do.

Also sending in my entire laptop to the UK for possibly weeks is not really an option I consider, for an usb problem, unless there was something seriously wrong with laptop. not mention the cost and packinging i dont have..
But yeah, anything that can be done.. it's really ridicilous that a new chipset doesnt work with a new windows 10. it shouldnt even need chipset drivers or usb drivers for this to work to be honest. So in that respect im inclined to agree it might be hardware related. (eventhough all usb ports have this..)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Usb drivers are always on the chipset driver.

What the make and model of the USB hdd docking station? Is it self powered?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well i adamantly hate for microsoft and their "updates". ussually break things for me. aslong as they are automatic installed without me saying which and when, i wont enable them, (completely separate subject though)

If Windows updates are breaking things for you on the scale you seem to be suggesting then there is something wrong with your Windows installation (or possibly your hardware). It is true that Windows 10 introduces the odd issue, especially with upgrades, but they are usually sorted with a bit of research. If this were mine I'd be doing a reinstall now.

I tried the chipset drivers, and the one that did install, did not change anything, unfortunately as I have had them already installed since day 1.

Then it's beginning to sound like a hardware issue I'm afraid.

Also clean install is not an option for me, since I have many configurations setup that take a long time and are very specific, but if I knew it would possilby solve the issue. its something that can be tried. Perhaps in a dual boot? If it's possible to have 2 windows 10 installations. (windows 7 also had an issue with usb, and the slipstreaming thing never worked for me)

First off, claiming that 'you can't do a clean install because you have too many third-party programs/too complex a config/etc.' is just an excuse. It's like saying "I know my car has a flat tyre but I have so much stuff in the boot so I can't get the jack out to change the wheel". If you're having problems, especially with Windows updates giving you problems and you have USB ports that aren't working properly, a clean reinstall of Windows is something that you must do. It's the only way to determine whether you have a software issue or a hardware issue and you'll waste way more time scratching around trying to sort your USB issue and struggling with the necessary and in some cases critical Windows updates than you will doing a clean install and reinstalling and configuring your third-party software. The 'I have too much stuff installed to do a clean install of Windows' whine just doesn't wash. Sorry.

Are you saying that you had Windows 7 on this laptop and you had USB issues with that? If that's the case it's almost certainly a hardware problem. You don't need to dual boot Windows, that just complicates things further. You need to bite the bullet and do a clean reinstall. You can give yourself an easy way back to where you are now by cutting a disk image of your system disk to an external drive before you start. I use Macrium Reflect for that but there are other similar tools. If your clean install of Windows doesn't fix the problem you could then restore your disk image and be back where you are now.

Why i haven't contacted PC's is because the problem never really was a problem (just anoyying) till I got a usb docking station for normal 3.5/2,5 HDD disks. This device made using it, really impossible.
So yeah, thats why I come now seeking solution, since it is something in the way of the thing I want to do.

Strange. Most people would contact PCS as soon as they noticed anything that wasn't right, even if it was just annoying.

As for a solution, you need to find out whether this is a hardware issue or a software issue and the only reliable way to do that is to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and all the drivers (and I'd allow Windows Update to find all the drivers it can before installing any manually).

Also sending in my entire laptop to the UK for possibly weeks is not really an option I consider, for an usb problem, unless there was something seriously wrong with laptop. not mention the cost and packinging i dont have..
But yeah, anything that can be done.. it's really ridicilous that a new chipset doesnt work with a new windows 10. it shouldnt even need chipset drivers or usb drivers for this to work to be honest. So in that respect im inclined to agree it might be hardware related. (eventhough all usb ports have this..)

What's ridiculous is that you seem to want a magic bullet to fix a problem that you appear to have had since day one and which you have simply ignored. Sadly such a magic bullet doesn't exist. If you do a clean reinstall of Windows and the drivers and the problem is still there it's almost certainly a hardware issue and the laptop will have to be RMAd. It will take as long as it takes to be repaired and you'll just have to manage without it. As far as cost is concerned, if you'd contacted PCS the moment you first noticed there was a problem with USB ports it wouldn't have cost you anything to send it back and it would have been repaired under warranty for free.

Last edited: