[SERVER] So how would I do this?

ImACookie

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys,

I'm going to be building a server rack that will hold a massive amount of storage around 50 TB or more and the only issue I can think of before ordering the components is, how the hell am I going to find a motherboard that supports like 12-13 sata cables? How exactly do servers install so many hard drives with the limited sata ports?

Can anyone explain how I can do this?

Thanks!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmmm... Servers are totally different beasts, they don't use the same concept of a motherboard that you plug everything into.

Grab one of the motherboards with 8 SATA ports built in, then pick up a couple of PCIe SATA adapters and you will have 12-14 SATA ports to connect to (depends how many ports the cards have). I have no idea what kind of performance that will give you though. Might be alright if its just for home use for a handful of users, but if you need more bandwidth then you might need a proper server with proper server grade components.

You need to think about the most extreme situation the server will ever be placed under and add a margin of safety.

the link above actually provides some good info on the other components you will need too, well worth a read.

Last edited:

ImACookie

Bronze Level Poster
Hmmm... Servers are totally different beasts, they don't use the same concept of a motherboard that you plug everything into.

Grab one of the motherboards with 8 SATA ports built in, then pick up a couple of PCIe SATA adapters and you will have 12-14 SATA ports to connect to (depends how many ports the cards have). I have no idea what kind of performance that will give you though. Might be alright if its just for home use for a handful of users, but if you need more bandwidth then you might need a proper server with proper server grade components.

You need to think about the most extreme situation the server will ever be placed under and add a margin of safety.

the link above actually provides some good info on the other components you will need too, well worth a read.

Yeah I'm planning on buying a motherboard with 8 ports then the rest PCI slots with sata ports, thanks for the advice and i'm open for anymore if anyone has any :)

P.S. Thank you previous poster for the link!