Setting up in my shed

Hello everyone!

I'm planning on setting up in my shed which is about 30 meters from our router, the easiest option would be a long Ethernet cable directly out to the shed however I think the signal may drop dramatically, what would others suggestions be?

I'm intending to use this for gaming/streaming so will need a good connection, thanks!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello everyone!

I'm planning on setting up in my shed which is about 30 meters from our router, the easiest option would be a long Ethernet cable directly out to the shed however I think the signal may drop dramatically, what would others suggestions be?

I'm intending to use this for gaming/streaming so will need a good connection, thanks!
Best idea would be ethernet. Ethernet doesn't lose "signal" as you say over 100 meters, so there's no worries about that. Then you could stick a wifi point in the shed for other devices if you required.

It's cold, I've gotta work on boarding up the gaps and repairing the window then it might just about be good enough for a man cave, maybe put up some wall art and de spider the place, who knows where we will get 😃

polycrac

Rising Star
It's cold, I've gotta work on boarding up the gaps and repairing the window then it might just about be good enough for a man cave, maybe put up some wall art and de spider the place, who knows where we will get 😃

Just think of the shed as an additional cooling system for the PC and the PC as an additional heater for the shed - efficiencies and savings both ways!

Bonus bonus question, I have 8gig of ram, looking at the "ram info" in the windows menu it says 3.7 gig available does this mean some is damaged/not working or is this how much Is not currently being used by open/running applications

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Bonus bonus question, I have 8gig of ram, looking at the "ram info" in the windows menu it says 3.7 gig available does this mean some is damaged/not working or is this how much Is not currently being used by open/running applications
It likely means you have 32bit windows which can only address a maximum of 3.7Gb.

Are you on windows 7? If so you really need to upgrade now as it's unsupported as of 13th Jan and no matter how secure you think you are, nothing will protect you from the onslaught of viruses that will hit win 7 users.

Luckily I'm on windows 10, but it was the free upgrade they were advertising when it first came out so I'm guessing that will be 32 bit, I'll have to check when I get home from work later

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Luckily I'm on windows 10, but it was the free upgrade they were advertising when it first came out so I'm guessing that will be 32 bit, I'll have to check when I get home from work later
it would have upgraded whatever version you were previously on, so you would have been on 32bit windows 7.

You can wipe your current installation and install 64bit (will use the same key).

It's worth doing a full reinstall if you upgraded in place anyway as it will cause instability in the OS.

32bit isn't really used anymore except on legacy CPU's that don't support 64b it and tiny embedded PC's that don't have resources for 64bit

Ah that's interesting as I thought I had a 64bit windows 7 os, anyways I'll format the HDD tonight and reinstall Windows with a 64bit os

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Just buy an overclocked 9900k system with a stock cooler and your shed will nice and warm in no time, problem solved!

so i have an image of the device info attached, its a 64x os :O

Attachments

• PCspecs.PNG
    PCspecs.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 185