SFF Case airflow ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrariVie

Super Star
Hi everyone,

It's been a little while since I've posted something new here, but I'd like to have some ideas from you all about a SFF case that I'm starting to build.

I'll start by saying that things have changed a bit compared to 3.5 years ago when I first bought my PCS laptop. At that time, I didn't have the space for a PC case, an external monitor and/or keyboard, so a laptop was my only option and it has served me well so far, still going strong (ish). I have used only the laptop screen and keyboard during all that time. However, after much thought and some hard convincing on both the missus and the landlord, I was finally able to change some furniture on my home and now, for the first time in like 10 years, I have proper space for a desktop PC again. Ok, not that much of a space that I can have a big desktop case again, but I can manage to fit a SFF case. Another "problem" that I have now is that I've won a 24" 1440p screen from my work, which means that I had to bump up the resolution on games and now the laptop started to struggle to run them properly. It is good enough for 1080p, but not for 1440p.

So getting to the point now, all is decided for a SFF build and I'm slowly buying the parts, as soon as the prices are able to fit my wallet. Not in a hurry though as the PCS laptop is still working, but I do have enough time to plan how things are going to be. However, there is one thing that I can't make up my mind on, and that's where I'll start to kindly ask for advice: airflow optimization.

This is an internet picture of the case that I've bought (mine is black, though), and I've added layers to show the fans' configuration that I came up with after watching JayzTwoCents's video, shared by @SpyderTracks last year.
NR200.jpg
Blue: Intake fans
Red: Exhaust fans

I understand now that I can control the pressure based on fans' RPM, but ideally I'd like to start with something good and just do some tweaking later. My main doubt is regarding the side-mounted AIO, if it's better to have it on intake or exhaust config. The second doubt is on the 92mm fan at the back, also if intake or exhaust.

FYI, there is no way to fit the radiator at the top, and I know that the bottom is a no-go for water cooling radiators. Also worth mentioning that the case doesn't have space for front fans and that above the 120mm bottom fans there will be a GPU with either 2 or 3 fans.

Any thoughts or questions? Appreciate any ideas!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Unfortunately we cannot discuss self builds or competitor builds. You would need to go to the likes of Toms hardware for this sort of discussion. Best of luck with it though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.