Should 120GB be enough

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
im planning on getting a 120GB SSD and wanted to know if it would be enough for all my programs to fit

here is a list of my programs:

Windows 7 Home Prem
OpenOffice (might be MS Office 2010)
uTorrent
AVG Free
Malwarebytes Anti Malware
Spybot Search & Destroy
CCleaner
iTunes/QuickTime
Maxthon 3
Mozilla Firefox
Net Meter
RevoUninstaller
Media Player Classic
Foxit Reader
PX5 Advanced Sound Editor
WinRAR
Advanced System Care Free
GIMP
DTweak Free
IOBit Game Booster
all drivers
everything needed to access internet (java)

hehe a lot of programs... is that 120GB worth?

as an estimate how much do you think i would have remaining, enough for a couple of games..?

^^ i have some small games that i could put on there, such as PvZ and an emulator for PS1

JSG10

Expert
Programs such as uTorrent, WinRar, spybot, maybe firefox probably dont need to be on your SSD. Media players too as its accessing the content that takes the time not the loading of MPC.

Teaz

Godlike
That should be enough but I have no guarantee on it. I believe it should be enough but will be near full. some of the programs can be installed on a 2nd which aren't used on a reg or don't usually take long to load like WinRar, Foxit Reader, media player etc etc

Edit: wow, you 2 are fast with replies lol

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
should i just downgrade to the 60GB then just put the bare essential programs on there, firefox, itunes etc i forgot to say that i have a second HDD which is 1TB and i believe i have 2 more slots if worst comes to the worst but ive also got a 1TB external HDD for backups and files gives me more room for games then

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Teaz, i was thinking the same thing i went to get a drink, came back refreshed and i thought i was being hunted down by the PCS police, which wouldnt suprise me the amount of questions i keep asking..

Teaz

Godlike
You can stick with the 120gb but if you think 80gb or 60gb is more suitable then go ahead :) Just install mainly used programs on the ssd while making downloads or copying etc to the 2nd hdd so it doesnt fill up your ssd quickly while less used progs on the 2nd drive.

lol i can see, with guys like DED and JSG10 they will be there to reply faster than the fbi on this forum :p

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
do you guys know if a 19" Samsung TV is likely to be 1080 resolution? i have a feeling its 1366x768 because that is my laptop res and when i plug it in via HDMI both screens still look ok, although it may be my integrated gfx card not giving me the 1080 option

this would save me getting a monitor if it works... ive already got a cheap monitor for everyday stuff but i will then be able to use my TV when gaming

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
do you guys know if a 19" Samsung TV is likely to be 1080 resolution? i have a feeling its 1366x768 because that is my laptop res and when i plug it in via HDMI both screens still look ok, although it may be my integrated gfx card not giving me the 1080 option

this would save me getting a monitor if it works... ive already got a cheap monitor for everyday stuff but i will then be able to use my TV when gaming

i dont know if this helps but my xbox 360 optimal resolution is 1080p

Teaz

Godlike
Not sure myself as not all screens are the same so your best to check the manual booklet that came provided with the screen for you to find out where it supports.

JSG10

Expert
Lmao Sorry I was afk for a while there. Wouldn't want to be thought of as too fast now! ;)

As for the size, I'd stick with the 120Gb, you'll fill it up quicker than you think, stick a few games on and it'll be full.

Wouldn't be able to advise you about your TV without knowing the model. Given that its 19" it probably doesn't go to 1080p as at that size it wouldn't make much difference TV wise. You're better off getting a proper monitor instead.

And yes, you should have more than a couple of slots free to install new HDDs if required and as you already stated, external HDDs are always an option :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i have a feeling its 1366x768 and the xbox is just a bit of a gimic, will it still look good on that res?

Teaz

Godlike
lool we wouldnt know as we dont own that screen, well i dont own it myself and each screen defers from each other. my samsung tv supports up to 1080i but not p but im not corncerned or bothered of it.

JSG10

Expert
At that size, yes it should look fine still :)

Why not look into one of the iiyama 22" monitors that PCS offer? I love mine and it looks fantastic :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yeh i dont have the money though really, i may consider buying a 1080p monitor later, also are TV cards easy to install, when my TV goes naff or something, i could just use a monitor and a freeview TV card

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i think thats more expensive though... cough cough... £1823.18 for a £1163 PC... i dont think so... are the Iiyama monitors available elswhere? preferably somewhere like PCWorld, or even BestBuy i live next to the only one in England (there may be a 2nd now though :( )

JSG10

Expert
I'm sure its interest free for a fixed term isn't it? Something like 12 months?
Just google the model you want and check out the shopping links :) Or check places like amazon and play.com for a basic idea of prices :) Sometimes they're even the cheapest around :)