Should I be worried?

I'm not sure these temps are what I would call optimal but what do I know? I've never tested my temps for my laptops in the past but after shelling out a fair few bob for this laptop I want it to remain in tip top condition. I ran a few tests using different games/being idle or just plain surfing. I gave each test 5 minutes to shall we say heat up or cool down to a resting state and with the few screenshots below will show you the results. I done one test with the fan set to max and another with it set to 'automatic'. FYI for the League of Legends screenshot Auto fan setting picture it did actually reach 70°C+ I just didn't take the screenshot quick enough because I had to quickly back out a spectated game and then screenshot as quick as I could. The one test that concerns me is the temps I was getting just watching some Twitch. It's just surfing the web after all I have no idea why the CPU would need to get this hot? If these temps are normal I sure hope someone will explain why and put my mind to rest and advise would it be best to leave the fans set to max or auto. I also tested Minecraft which gave the following temps:- Max Fan Speed 56°C/Auto Fan Speed 67°C. All these temps were give or take a few degrees but they hovered around the general area.

So here's the screenshots:

Idle/Auto Fan Speed
Idle-NoPrograms-AutoFanSpeed.png

League of Legends/Auto Fan Speed
LOL-AutoFanSpeed-Hit70c+.jpg

League of Legends/Max Fan Speed
LoL-MaxFanSpeed.jpg

Twitch/Auto Fan Speed
Twitch-AutoFanSpeed.jpg

Twitch/Max Fan Speed
Twitch-MaxFanSpeed.jpg

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

PS Hope no one is creeped out by my late cat in the background of the LoL shots. RIP Jess.

EDIT: Just this minute checked Twitch temps when the fan was already set to max and the CPU relatively cool and the temps was hovering around 55°C/60°C ish
(so that a little better I suppose)

Last edited:

ahad

Silver Level Poster
well an idea of which laptop you had would help with advising you on this but despite that your temps are completely normal and safe. Actually they are pretty good if consider that under stress many gaming laptops reach temps of around 90 and even under gaming situations reach near 80's or mid 70's when properly taken care of. A lot depends on the laptop itself but the CPU can handle temps of up to 100 but would suggest you never let it go that far :p

So basically....put your mind at ease...that's perfectly cool for a laptop :)

ahad

Silver Level Poster
i see you have a 960m thus its a dedicated gaming laptop. Under that situation. Your temps are perfect man.

if they start getting near 90 down the road just give it a little cleaning and it will go right back down again.

Thanks guys I appreciated all of your input! :punk:

So are the automatic temps perfectly fine or shall I keep the fans set to max to take the extra load of the CPU? And does anyone know why twitch would cause temps of 60+?

Cheers :)

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Also concur. Silicon doesn't tend to even start to degrade until (wracking brain back to uni now) around 105 celcius.