Should I Change My Case ???

granea

My PC is in the line awaiting parts from Nvidia however I have noticed that the case I have ordered is no longer available for new orders.

I have ordered the Corsair Obsidian Series 500D RGB SE but see that the Corsair iCUE 5000x Case seems to have replaced it.

I can't see much difference except that the i CUE 5000x seems to be slightly bigger and slightly cheaper, However it would mean I could install the Corsair H115i CPU Cooler rather than the H100i. Does anyone know of any other significant differences. I have looked at the Corsair website but cannot really see anything major.

The question is should I change the case or stick with what I have already?

This is the build

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.9GHz/72MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
250GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6400MB/R, 2700MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
RAID
RAID 1 (MIRRORED VOLUME - 2 x same size & model HDD / SSD)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy™ FX OEM
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
The 500D SE looks better in my opinion...but then I have the same sense of taste and style that a Hedgehog does so maybe just ignore me :rolleyes:

The 5000X has gotten good reviews so I would have no issue with choosing that case..and that CPU really does want the H115i
Agreed. I'd also consider upping that PSU to 850w, getting rid of the sound card, dropping the MX-4 thermal paste... and probably the Crosshair VIII instead of the ROG Strix X570. Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

granea

Thanks for your comments - I think I will defintiely change the case and add the H115i.
I had't really thought about the motherboard - can you please tell me what the advantage of the Crossgair VIII is over what I chose?
Also I assume the onboard sound is good enough not to need a sound card?
Thanks for any additional advice.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The onboard sound is very good on the vast majority of modern motherboards. If you need better, you'll get far better quality/value for money with an external USB interface/DAC.

The Crosshair has more cooling ability and stronger power delivery. The 5950X wants as much of both as you can throw at it.