Should I get a 4K or stick to a higher spec 1080p

jnecek33

Good day to everyone. This is my first post to these forums. I very recently placed my order for a new custom built PC and I am very excited but I am in need of some major advice at to what display to purchase for my rig. First of all my specs are:

Case

COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-6800K (3.4GHz) 15MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® X99-A: ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s

Memory (RAM)
32GB HyperX SAVAGE DDR4 2666MHz (4 x 8GB Kit)

Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 - DVI, HDMI, 3x DP - GTX VR Ready!

1st Hard Disk
1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Sound Card
Creative Sound Blaster Z 5.1 PCI-E Soundcard - OEM

Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1750 1,300Mbps/5GHz, 450Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

So I need to get a monitor (and keyboard and mouse but Razer will cover those as I've used them before). My question is a the title says it it worth getting a 4K monitor or a better spec 1080p monitor. I'm thinking of gsync in particular as I've read very good things on this.

I'm in real need of suggestions and opinions. If I go 4K and eventually games struggle to run at 4K can a 4K monitor run games in 1080p to improve performance or will they look rubbish.
Would a better 1080p monitor still look great anyway at around the 24-27" range.

I just need any and all available advice really. Sorry for the essay. Hope to hear some cool things

jerpers

Master
a single 1080 woud struggle to constantly push 4k @ 60hz. IMO you would be much better going for a 1440p monitor. A GTX 1080 is overkill for gaming at 1080p.

barkna

a single 1080 woud struggle to constantly push 4k @ 60hz. IMO you would be much better going for a 1440p monitor. A GTX 1080 is overkill for gaming at 1080p.

jerpers, am genuinely interested in your answer, cos your logic says 1080 is overkill for 1080p gaming, yet not man enough for 4k hardcore... so just wondering - logically speaking - what is the point of a 1080 - i.e. if it is not up to either, where does it sit and why get one?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
jerpers, am genuinely interested in your answer, cos your logic says 1080 is overkill for 1080p gaming, yet not man enough for 4k hardcore... so just wondering - logically speaking - what is the point of a 1080 - i.e. if it is not up to either, where does it sit and why get one?

It's designed for maxing out 1440p screens.

jerpers

Master
It will do 4k just not maxing it out. My 980ti works ok with 4k for the games I play but newer games will struggle at max settings. The 1080 also has some benefits for VR.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I have Defiance II with a 4k screen and Windows 10 and it (Windows) often struggles to scale things properly.

One example is steam - the overlays are tiny. The solution is to drop the resolution.

Other examples include VLC Media PLayer, Greenshot screen capture editor and randomly, Microsoft Remote Desktop connections.

Some are fixable with workarounds, others not so much.

So personally, I'd go for a lower resolution and more grunt. And in hindsight (20:20 vision, eh?) I'd have gone for a lower resolution.