Should I make any changes/upgrade?

PaulMurphy432

Hi guys, just ordered a PC for my Dad for his retirement present. It will be mainly used for Microsoft Flight Sim with a triple monitor setup. Should I make any changes eg. Upgrade ram, different processor etc.
Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700K (3.6GHz) 25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 5200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 530 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 3000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

PaulMurphy432

Thanks Slimcini. I originally had a 2Tb m.2 as a second drive but the sales guy told me I really wouldn't need it and an ssd would do the job as it's just for storage

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks Slimcini. I originally had a 2Tb m.2 as a second drive but the sales guy told me I really wouldn't need it and an ssd would do the job as it's just for storage
I would disagree with the choice of the QVO. I'm assuming that's where Flight Sim will be stored on the 2TB and as far as I understand it reads quite a lot from the "disc" as it's loading areas so having that on a fast SSD is definitely beneficial

In saying that the QVO is probably fast enough to handle that but it's a premium for what is essentially a slow SATA SSD when faster M.2 SSD's are available and do the job faster and better

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Definitely remove Bullguard from the build as it will just cause you issues.

Windows built-in security package is (and has been for some years) as good as any paid-for product now...and won't keep nagging you to upgrade.

steaky360

I don't know what sales guy told you that mate but he's wrong. I'm assuming that's where Flight Sim will be stored on the 2TB and as far as I understand it reads quite a lot from the "disc" as it's loading areas so having that on a fast SSD is definitely beneficial

In saying that the QVO is probably fast enough to handle that but it's a premium for what is essentially a slow SATA SSD when faster M.2 SSD's are available and do the job faster and better
I think you should consider your wording more carefully. Suggesting folk are "wrong" before fully understanding the context may just lead to unnecessary negativity. You've leaped to a conclusion (perhaps correctly) based on an assumption you've no real basis to state that.

Please be mindful before making comments like this.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think you should consider your wording more carefully. Suggesting folk are "wrong" before fully understanding the context may just lead to unnecessary negativity. You've leaped to a conclusion (perhaps correctly) based on an assumption you've no real basis to state that.

Please be mindful before making comments like this.
Reworded it mate, you're 100%