Shutdown hung, now startup hangs at BIOS splash screen

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
I'm starting to think hi-spec PC ownership is a bit like running an Italian car or having a demanding girlfriend. I've learned to live with both at one time or another, but eventually gave up in frustration.

Less than a week after a replacement graphics card fixed the video output problem, tonight the machine hung at the 'shutting down Windows' screen. I gave it 20 minutes then powered down.

Keen to see if it started OK, I gave it a couple of minutes before turning the power on again. Now I just get to look at the BIOS splash screen forever and my external drive isn't waking up either.

Any suggestions?

pengipete

Rising Star
I'm starting to think hi-spec PC ownership is a bit like running an Italian car or having a demanding girlfriend.

It's a lot more fun the other way around :)

Can you post your specs and tell us details of any overclocks (save me digging backwards and forwards through old posts). Also tell us if you've changed or added any hardware and - of applicable - you've changed any BIOS settings (e.g. for RAID etc)

Also, when you switch on, do the fans spin, lights come on etc.

Chances are that clearing CMOS and re-inputting your BIOS settings is what's needed but we need to get enough detail to be able to put everything back as it was before doing that (clearing CMOS erases all BIOS settings).

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
This is weird.

I just tried to apply a picture-in-picture video effect and Premiere Pro told my hardware wasn't up to the job.

Prem Pro crashed and wouldn't restart.

I shut down and the restart hung at the BIOS splash screen. Just sat there.

I booted up the old Ubuntu machine next to it, intending to come here and ask for help. Firefox opened up at this very thread, which is where I was exactly one month ago with exactly the same problem.

As I read what I'd asked a month ago, I remembered that the machine eventually booted on its own, after about five minutes of me ignoring it. Coming to the end of reading my post and Pengipete's request for info, I looked at my main machine and saw it has booted up at last.

So once a month the machine will have a bit of a hissy fit and refuse to play for a while.

See opening comment about demanding girlfriend...

martynmoore

Bronze Level Poster
So what causes it to just grind to a halt at the BIOS screen but eventually make it through to Windows after five whole minutes?