Side bar

NRD

Hi everyone,
I have a very, very annoying feature on my Voyager II laptop. Almost every time my pointer goes anywhere near the right hand side of my screen the row of Icons keep popping out and a rectangular bar appears on the left hand side of the screen showing time and date ect.
I thought that these only popped out when requested by going to top or bottom corners of the screen when one needed to use them.
This is Windows 8 of course. Any suggestions to eradicate this would be most welcome.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's Windows 8 working as designed, but I agree it is annoying. I've not attempted to find a way to stop this in Windows, but if you install Start8 from Stardock not only will you get a Start button and Start Menu back (just like Windows 7) but you can also configure the Windows 8 hot corners and sidebars and turn then off if you want. I have all those Windows 8 features turned off in Start8 and my Windows 8 experience is much like it was with Windows 7. Stardock already have a version of Start8 available that works with Windows 8.1 too.

Start8 is not free, but at $5 it might as well be! :)

NRD

Still sailing on that yacht I see, good for you.
Thanks for the Stardock info anyway, I might just give it a try.

dogbot

Bright Spark
I use Classic shell which is free.

BTW with 687 posts in 6 months, I don't think that yacht has been off it's mudbank in years :sailor: