Silencio Full Review & photos - Continuation thread for performance/technical issues

RS2OOO

Gold Level Poster
As mentioned in the original review the PC was quite noisy, making a cricket sound and I initially suspected the cause was the PSU fan, but further investigation revealed the noise to be coming from the HD 7770 graphics card.

I contacted PCS through online messaging and they very quickly responded agreeing to replace the graphics card as an advanced replacement (i.e swap it at your door step).

No sooner had that been agreed the noise stopped so I decided to hold on, but a few days later the noise came back again.

Due to the difficulty of being available to take a delivery mid-week the only option I had was to book a days' holiday from work to ensure I could be at home. So, a delivery date (last Thursday) was agreed with PCS and I booked a days leave from work. I then received email confirmation from PCS that the replacement GPU would be sent out to me for that day.

So on Wednesday night I removed the Graphics Card from the PC (not done this before but it was so easy anyone could do it) and packaged it all up ready for the next days collection.

By mid morning Thursday I was wondering why I'd not received a text from DPD as they always text me on the morning of a delivery, so, I rang PCS to check if it was DPD they were using.

The next bit had me very, very upset..... PCS simply said "The replacement card hasn't been dispatched yet due to a problem with our dispatch system, so we'll send it out today".

Now, getting time off work is not easy for me and I don't see much of my kids as it is so using up my annual leave is not something I do lightly. So not only had I wasted 1 days leave, I've actually wasted 2 days because when I first bought the PC I'd taken a day off work to receive it following phone confirmation that it was being dispatched, but that didn't get dispatched till a day later either which caused major headaches at the time.

I was so annoyed about this I purposely didn't post about it on here until now I've finally calmed down!

Anyway, the poor PCS guy that got the brunt of my phone call was Matthew, and in view of my situation he kindly agreed to arranging a Saturday delivery (which isn't a standard option with DPD for exchange items so he had to contact them and make special arrangements).

The replacement HD7770 Ghz edition arrived today boxed inside retail packaging and took no more than 5 minutes to install and get the PC back up and running.

Due to the nature of the noise on the old card which would get really loud and then go quiet again, I thought the problem was intermittent but this replacement card is so much quieter I now suspect the fan on the old card was noisier than it should have been even when it wasn't making cricket sounds.

I can finally say the Silencio 550 case is a silent case after all and 6 Weeks on from the original delivery I could not be happier with the performance and quality of this PC.

I appreciate PassMark benchmarking may not be something that most people use, but considering the overall spec of the PC, my score was quite a bit higher than comparable scores from similar specced PC's. All my individual hardware component scores were way above the averages so rightly or wrongly I conclude from this that all my components are working with each other flawlessly.

Lately I've found myself sitting at my office PC shouting at it for being so slow and asking colleagues if theirs are running slow, but its dawned on me that the office PC is the same as it always has been, just that my PCS PC is so damn fast everything else feels slow in comparison!

So yes, there have been some issues along the way, but overall I'm very happy with this PC and despite some hiccups with PCS' service, the fact that they are prepared to RMA on an advanced replacement basis is very good and even with my lost day off work, the process was a lot less hassle than having to go through the hell of RMA'ing the whole PC just to fix a noisy fan which is exactly what you'd have to do if you purchased from Currys or such like.

Last edited: