Sisters birthday gift

manvir96

Silver Level Poster
Hi my sister is saving up for a laptop next year and i have no idea for a laptop spec, she wants to have microsoft office 2012 and windows 7 working on it, and to be alright for games such as wizard 101, or standard web browser games, and she wants t get it to near as 200 pounds as possible, thanks in advanced!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Hi my sister is saving up for a laptop next year and i have no idea for a laptop spec, she wants to have microsoft office 2012 and windows 7 working on it, and to be alright for games such as wizard 101, or standard web browser games, and she wants t get it to near as 200 pounds as possible, thanks in advanced!
Don't need to be harsh,but for £200 your probably better looking for a second hand laptop.

Last edited:

Wake

Silver Level Poster
Acer Aspire V3-571G Core i3 Laptop with NVIDIA Dedicated Graphics (630M) is £419 on Laptops Direct. You might be lucky - they had the same model at Comet but with an I7 and a 640M for £564 recently (reduced from £799) and will be getting rid of Windows 7 stock now. £200 is pushing it for any kind of gaming but there are 15.6 inch laptops on Laptops Direct with Windows 7 for between £200 and £300. Fujitsu Lifebook AH530 Windows 7 Laptop with 6GB RAM! - VFY:AH530MP502GB6GB £289/Toshiba Satellite Pro C850-14C Windows 7 Laptop in Black - PSKC9E-01100JEN £209...2GB RAM but just take the 2 sticks out and up it to 4 or 8GB...take you 30 seconds.

Office will be a problem. I can get 2010 for £10 through work and I know students get it cheap but you will not find it installed on a £200 laptop. You might find Office 2003 cheap online though - does the job.

Wake

Silver Level Poster
I looked up Wizard101 and you can run it on integrated graphics. Get the Toshiba for £209 and upgrade the RAM - my mother's had 1GB and I upgraded that to 4 not long ago. It's well built, picture is decent as is the sound and looks far more expensive than the cost advertised.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
She might be better with something like a Netbook? Not sure how these would cope with casual games though.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
She might be better with something like a Netbook? Not sure how these would cope with casual games though.

I was about to suggest that, my netbook is a few years old now, but the hardware is still pretty much the same in the new ones.

I had to upgrade the ram, because it was always crashing, 1gb just aint enough, so bumped it up to 2gig.

One problem I have with all netbooks is, they only come with win 7 32bit os preloaded, yay so all the junk that pops up every single time you start up....The problem for me was because I wanted to reinstall the OS onto a ssd. 1 - I would need a usb dvd drive, 2 - I aint got a physical disk copy of 32bit install (I only have 64bit win 7 disk, So would either have to buy another copy of win 32 or 64 bit just to reinstall. So i physically could not do it.

I use it to take notes in uni lessons, and general internet browsing. To be honest that's all its good for.