Size of WINDOWS 7 installation?

chrsan

Just got a new PC from PCS - all working great.

The primary drive is a 120Gb SSD - when I checked how much space I have free on the C: drive (as delivered from PCS), I was
astonished to see that 88 Gb is already used!

I have installed nothing else to the C: drive, what's hogging all this space and how can fix the problem?

Thanks
Chris

steaky360

You could probably just look at the C drive and find out whats taking all the space? Windows should be circa 30-40Gb I think.

I guess there are updates and stuff to consider too.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Install TreeSize Free, Install and run it. Click Scan on the top bar and then choose your C:/ Drive. From there you can see the size of each folder in size order then you can investigate further to see what is taking up your space.

How much RAM do you have as well? If you have something like 64GB, you may have a 64GB pagefile used during hibernation.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Install TreeSize Free, Install and run it. Click Scan on the top bar and then choose your C:/ Drive. From there you can see the size of each folder in size order then you can investigate further to see what is taking up your space.

How much RAM do you have as well? If you have something like 64GB, you may have a 64GB pagefile used during hibernation.

Actually there will be two large files, the pagefile - pagefile.sys and the hibernate file - hiberfil.sys. Together they could well exceed 50GB.

If you don't use the hibernate function then turn it off (powercfg /h off) and the hibernate file will be deleted. There is a school of thought that advises moving the pagefile off the SSD onto your fastest HDD, so you might want to do that to get even more SSD space.

chrsan

Turning off Hibernation recovered 12.0 Gb on C: - Thanks.

But there is still a Directory called DriverStore that has a folder called FileRepository that is taking up 20.0 Gb.

Can I delete this too?

Thanks
Chris

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Turning off Hibernation recovered 12.0 Gb on C: - Thanks.

But there is still a Directory called DriverStore that has a folder called FileRepository that is taking up 20.0 Gb.

Can I delete this too?

Thanks
Chris

No. When you plug in a PnP device Windows searches the DriverStore for the appropriate driver. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff544868%28v=vs.85%29.aspx.

Edit: I'm puzzled why yours is so big thoiugh. My DriverStore folder (Win8.1) is less than 2GB....

Last edited:

adidan

Bronze Level Poster
That's way too much. I had a 120Gb drive in my old laptop and W7 64bit IIRC took 20 or so gig not over 80.