Skyfire III

franco22

Hi guys

Was wondering if any one can help, I am looking to spend about £600-700 on a gaming laptop, mainly to play Guild Wars 2 and a bit of League of Legends.

I'm looking on the website and at the moment I have speced a 14inch Skyfire III with a i7 processor, 8GB of ram and 126gb SSD and a GTX 760, without the operating system this came to around £680.

Is this the best I'm going to get for that price? I was having a look at the other models and couldn't really understand why they would be better then the skyfire apart from the higher resolution screen, Skyfire is 1600x900 while other laptops are full 1080p ( I think for a gaming laptop slightly lower resolution might be better though due to performance issues).

So apart from the 1080p screen and some of the laptops have a backlit screen am I missing anything on the Skyfire? Because I'd be sacrificing the i7 for an i5 to get the higher resolution screen and still keep the price around £680.

Thanks for your help, I don't know much about laptops

daveeb

Enthusiast
I think if you're mainly intending to use the laptop for gaming then i5 is the way to go, i don't think currently with games you would see much improvement with i7.

franco22

I think if you're mainly intending to use the laptop for gaming then i5 is the way to go, i don't think currently with games you would see much improvement with i7.

While I would usually agree with that from a laptop point of view the i7 is a quad core while the i5 is a dual core. I'm trying to future proof the laptop as much as possible :)

daveeb

Enthusiast
I have a similar i5/i7 problem myself, mine will be used mainly for video work so i7 would probably be best but i don't want a hot pc so it's a bit of a dilemna.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
For gaming i would pick a Quadcore as standard. Games like Battlefield 3 and 4 and more games in the future are now utilizing the 4 cores. Although an i5 Dual core will still do the job an quad core will increase the lifespan of your gaming capabilities a bit.

Also if your doing any video editing or rendering etc the i7 quad core would be a must i would think.

Temperature wise i would have thought an i7 would run cooler as it wouldn't have to do as much work as if you gave the same task to a dual core.

Also to keep temperatures down i would recommend the Arctic paste for £5... its either £5 or £9 but it will keep your CPU cooler.

I could be wrong but that's my understanding

Hope this helps.