Skype info for new users: Windows 10 can disable your microphone!

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
FYI...

Your test call on Skype says it's working yeah? You can hear yourself but your caller thinks you are on mute?

CHECK / FIX:

Windows10(not Skype) > Settings > Devices > Sound settings (hotlink top right) > Microphone privacy settings > Allow apps to access your microphone (turn on) > Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone > Skype (turn on).

Hard to believe this annoying depth of settings I know, especially when Microsoft bought and own Skype.:rolleyes:

Oh and your new Skype login might conflict with your old Microsoft Account. Obviously they didn't think of this.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
FYI...

Your test call on Skype says it's working yeah? You can hear yourself but your caller thinks you are on mute?

CHECK / FIX:

Windows10(not Skype) > Settings > Devices > Sound settings (hotlink top right) > Microphone privacy settings > Allow apps to access your microphone (turn on) > Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your microphone > Skype (turn on).

Hard to believe this annoying depth of settings I know, especially when Microsoft bought and own Skype.:rolleyes:

Oh and your new Skype login might conflict with your old Microsoft Account. Obviously they didn't think of this.

Microsoft logins are a real mess right now - I have a personal address and a work address that both use the same email. To the best of my knowledge, I've never signed up for the former but it means some sub-sites of MS's require one login over the other but if you've logged in with the wrong address already, it's a case of using a different browser.

They (MS) were looking at rationalising them some time ago but seem to have given up.

CMStorm

Bronze Level Poster
Microphone too quiet for recipient? They can't quite hear you? 🤐

Possible fix...

Windows10(not Skype) > Settings > Devices > Sound settings (hotlink top right) > Sound Control Panel (above Microphone privacy settings) > Sound pop-up, Recording tab > your microphone should be in the list to highlight > Click Properties button in bottom right > Levels tab > Microphone Boost option.

I had to go to the maximum of +30db for a couple to hear me, but this was way too loud for another. Depends on recipient. 🤫