SLI Setup

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
Not so much a problem...more of a query. I received my 2nd GTX 670 in the post today (hooray) and have installed it. Now I was just wondering if anyone could tell me, when using MSI afterburner and it refers to GPU 1 and GPU 2, is GPU 1 the card that is placed in my top PCI-E slot?

It's just for me measuring temps that's all. I removed the 670 that came with my rig originally and placed it in the slot below it and put the new one in the old ones place. I've done this because, in my opinion, the cooling system on my new card is superior to my old GTX 670 so I thought it may be better at coping with the heat rising from the 2nd GPU below it, if that makes sense. Plus my intake fan on the side is blowing more air onto my older GTX 670 so 'm hoping that helps compensate for the extra heat being generated from running SLI

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Not so much a problem...more of a query. I received my 2nd GTX 670 in the post today (hooray) and have installed it. Now I was just wondering if anyone could tell me, when using MSI afterburner and it refers to GPU 1 and GPU 2, is GPU 1 the card that is placed in my top PCI-E slot?

Yeah, GPU 1 will be the top card, GPU 2 will be the bottom card.

It's just for me measuring temps that's all. I removed the 670 that came with my rig originally and placed it in the slot below it and put the new one in the old ones place. I've done this because, in my opinion, the cooling system on my new card is superior to my old GTX 670 so I thought it may be better at coping with the heat rising from the 2nd GPU below it, if that makes sense. Plus my intake fan on the side is blowing more air onto my older GTX 670 so 'm hoping that helps compensate for the extra heat being generated from running SLI

Yeah, good thinking. I did something similar when I had two 580's. Thw newer 580 fan ran faster than the older 580. So like you, whacked the newer one up the top.

halox

Enthusiast
Sounds like a nice rig. The only problem you will face is heat build up on demanding games. Watch this vid from about 3:20 and it will show you what I did with this problem. I am water cooled now so if you want the 3 x mini-kaze cooler let me know. I have no use for it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMpU-uAE8is

steaky360

I would suggest the heat build up that will be faced in a Haf - X with two 670's will be minor. But this is from me running two 690's in a cosmos 2...

Halox is correct of course though, there will be additional heat :) I just don't think it will be a problem!

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
Thanks for the replies. Funnily enough my bottom GPU is was still running hotter than the top one...I wonder if the cooling system on the new card is just that much better.

Halox, how did you measure the hot spots in your case? Does your motherboard have some kind of external thermometer?

Another question to all, my temps were reaching 78-79 (on at least one of my cards) when testing them so I used MSI afterburner to create my own fan profile so the fan ramps up quicker at lower temps. Now they are spinning at a higher RPM than previously and I was just wondering if this would be detrimental entail to my GPU fans? I realise running them quicker will reduce the life span of them but are we talking like 90,000 hours instead of 100,000 hours or 20,000 hours instead of 100,000 hours?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Thanks for the replies. Funnily enough my bottom GPU is was still running hotter than the top one...I wonder if the cooling system on the new card is just that much better.
The one at the bottom usually runs hotter than the top one, even if you fit the same GPUs.