slightly worried about gpu temp

leea12345

Gold Level Poster
hi ther have got 2xgt670 in sli, while playing bf3 with everything on ultra one of the cards is going up to a temperature of around 80-82c . i am alittler concerned, also while playing this game after about 25 min it seems to crash but only on multiplayer, not sure if its connected to the gpu heat issue i am worried about, but thought id mention it. any advice be great :) also one other question in the nvidia control panel i see an option for antiliasing -FXAA it is set to off but i turned it on, could this be an issue ?

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
hi ther have got 2xgt670 in sli, while playing bf3 with everything on ultra one of the cards is going up to a temperature of around 80-82c . i am alittler concerned, also while playing this game after about 25 min it seems to crash but only on multiplayer, not syre itf its connecxted to the gpu heat issue i am worried about, but thought id mention it. any advice be great :) also one other question in the nvidia control panel i see an option for antiliasing -FXAA it is set to off but i turned it on, could this be an issue ?

What case do you have? at what speed are your GPU fans running?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
my case is corsair r 500 fans were running at around 60 precnt at that temperature :)

pop them up a bit higher when gaming,

also use GPU Z - to monitor the cards - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ - (if you dont already )

take note of the gpu fan speeds, then use the software that came with ya 670's to speed up the gpu fans slightly,

but defo check that vysnc is enabled, so the cards dont run at 100% and pump out as much fps as they can. 60 fps is all ya need really, ya wont see a difference higher than 60.

leea12345

Gold Level Poster
thanks guys, makes sense but just a little question, i have enabled v sync and temp is staying about 60c so thats good and im getting 60 fps now which is my tv refresh rate, but am going to be getting a 120hz monitor soon and i take it i will have high temps as the gpu will be displaying up to 120 fps even with v sync enabled. so looks like they will be runing hot again .but i will try to up the fan rate of gpus and see if that helps, is it easy to do and how do i find that option, i have the gpuz monitoring panel on my desktop :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think even if you have a 120hz monitor, you will still be able to use vsync in games, you wont see any difference going higher than 60fps. I don't even think the human eye can tell a difference, although i may be wrong.

I'd keep using vsync in games even with a new monitor, well try with it set on and with it off, see if you can see a difference, then go from there :)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
thanks guys, makes sense but just a little question, i have enabled v sync and temp is staying about 60c so thats good and im getting 60 fps now which is my tv refresh rate, but am going to be getting a 120hz monitor soon and i take it i will have high temps as the gpu will be displaying up to 120 fps even with v sync enabled. so looks like they will be runing hot again .but i will try to up the fan rate of gpus and see if that helps, is it easy to do and how do i find that option, i have the gpuz monitoring panel on my desktop :)

You could also try adding more chassis fans and tidying up cables in your rig.

leea12345

Gold Level Poster
i would really like to add more fans if possible but not sure where to start. what type to get to help with the gpu temps, any advice would be great, thanks again

leea12345

Gold Level Poster
they are nice fans, only question i have is that the fan spaces on case are at top and i take it they would be to take hot air out the case? or ok to put fans there and have them blow air down ?

steaky360

If you are going to place fans at the top of your case I'd recommend they are used to exhaust hot air out of your case. You will probably have some fans at the front bringing cool air in and a fan on the side (big 200mm one).

leea12345

Gold Level Poster
thanks for that, another question. i am using tha pallit thunder master software and was increasing my fans speed manually to try it out, problem i have is that it only seems to change one of the gpus fan speed , the other is still staying normal , well thats what gpuz says when i click between them, am i missing something asi cant see any option on the thunder master software to switch to other gpu, thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
thanks for that, another question. i am using tha pallit thunder master software and was increasing my fans speed manually to try it out, problem i have is that it only seems to change one of the gpus fan speed , the other is still staying normal , well thats what gpuz says when i click between them, am i missing something asi cant see any option on the thunder master software to switch to other gpu, thanks

I had the same issue, I changed back to Vtune.

tom_gr7

Life Serving

I had the same problem when i tried thundermaster,

have a look see if you can find vtune, that's the older palit software...

baron75mk2

Banned
80c for these modern cards is fairly common these days my top GTX680 will hot 79c when playing battlefield 3 & witcher two - i wouldn't worry about it they are made to run at those temps , id be more worried if it were over 90c personally :yes:

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Typically when the fans are set on auto, they will run fast enough to keep the GPUs at 80-90C. You can manually set the fans higher if you like, but you will get more noise and the lower temperatures are unlikely to provide any benefit as GPUs are designed to run pretty hot.

Extra case fans are unlikely to provide much benefit unless your airflow is bad to begin with.